Recommendations for shared hosting

edited May 31 in General

I have a project that I'd like to use shared hosting for and would like to some recommendations on what folks around here use.

Being new to shared hosting, I don't really have any particulars in mind — the thing should be as reliable as a VPS from a reliable provider, shouldn't be oversold to shit, and hopefully be at a lower price point than a VPS.

It can be based out of any location, and needs to have a reasonable amount of disk/database space, even 2GB seems quite sufficient.

«1

Comments

  • ExtraVM is fast
    Shockhosting is good value, comes with dedicated IP

  • ExtraVM @MikeA

  • Thanks for the recommendations folks, but this was what I feared - most hosts seem to be selling their shared hosting packages at nearly the same price range as a VPS, and I really wonder why.

    Honestly, I was hoping to save a bit by moving my project to shared hosting but it seems like it might be better to use VPSes so that I can put devops tools like Ansible to use.

  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG
    edited May 31

    @stevewatson301 said:
    Thanks for the recommendations folks, but this was what I feared - most hosts seem to be selling their shared hosting packages at nearly the same price range as a VPS, and I really wonder why.

    Honestly, I was hoping to save a bit by moving my project to shared hosting but it seems like it might be better to use VPSes so that I can put devops tools like Ansible to use.

    This is the issue:

    the thing should be as reliable as a VPS from a reliable provider, shouldn't be oversold to shit

    Shared hosting is more expensive, VPS has no licensing, web hosting you are expected to have the "best stack" with a commonly used commercial control panel, security software or stuff like CloudLinux (and the other paid options that go along with it), etc. Web hosting requires big NVMe drives, nobody wants SATA HDD and SATA SSD isn't that ideal market wise. Big NVMe cost money.

    Look at KnownHost for example, they are what I'd consider one of the most reliable and trustworthy web hosts there is. I even used them for many years for some family sites, and they are not cheap. $6.71/m for 5GB storage, 1 domain.

    If you are interested, try the code "reddit50", it will give you 50% off recurring on any web hosting plan in any location. That's $24/y for the 10GB NVMe plan.

    Thanked by (3)AaronSS Aractus ehab
  • What @MikeA said.

    Shared hosting saves you time/hassle - you just put what you want on it and it runs.
    Along with all the bells and whistles, whether you need them or not (CloudLinux, LiteSpeed and the likes).

    I also suppose that shared hosting accounts, on average, require more tech. support time compared to a VPS (my providers correct me if I'm wrong).

    I don't expect it to beat unmanaged VPS hosting prices.

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

    Happy with @MikePT :) However, Hostmantis is also performant (just very volatile in pricing).

  • VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider

    @stevewatson301 said:
    Thanks for the recommendations folks, but this was what I feared - most hosts seem to be selling their shared hosting packages at nearly the same price range as a VPS, and I really wonder why.

    Honestly, I was hoping to save a bit by moving my project to shared hosting but it seems like it might be better to use VPSes so that I can put devops tools like Ansible to use.

    I'll chime in with an answer here and it doesn't really have to do with licensing or overselling. It just requires a lot of management and support to do it "properly" where core customers will like it, stay, and spread the word and it's not something all providers can focus on while also running their core business.

    When you sprinkle in cheaper plans, abuse levels skyrocket and as a result those customers paying higher for an essentially managed service go away.

    So actually by launching our cheap $5 per year dedicated IP webhosting services, we sold less, and scared away everyone paying $5 a month. When it was just $5 a month people everyone was happy and the node was barely used and we maybe made $3,000 a month profit off a single node. Of course that's not our core business and it eventually became difficult to provide all the extra support we used to provide with these plans anyway. No matter how obscenely profitable, it just essentially requires a staff member more dedicated to that product line which basically wipes out any perceived profits. And with management come scenarios such as working 18 hours straight fixing some extreme MySQL issue, ensuring every single website functions 100% -- something you would not have to do with unmanaged/semi-managed VPS services.

  • @stevewatson301 whats your budget. i am happy with @HostSlick and @MannDude (IncogNET). IncogNET for example offered me a special deal that fits my needs.

    Thanked by (1)MannDude
  • Why not try some free shared hosting?

  • I'm not a big user of shared hosting, but I thought that I'd put in a good word for Limitless Hosting, who even have a sale at the moment:

    https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/4221/limitless-hosting-now-supports-nodejs-python-on-shared-hosting-flat-40-on-shared-reseller

    (I have a shared hosting plan with them at their Chicago location)

    Thanked by (3)Ympker Lampard skorous

    "A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

  • >

    If you are interested, try the code "reddit50", it will give you 50% off recurring on any web hosting plan in any location. That's $24/y for the 10GB NVMe plan.

    I have this plan and I’m quite happy with it :)

    Thanked by (1)MikeA
  • Dont use shared hosting anymore but.. @Abdullah has always treated me well.
    https://my.webhorizon.in/order/main/index/ssd-shared

    Thanked by (2)Abdullah Ympker
  • johnkjohnk Hosting Provider

    We are $1.75/m, works out to around $20/year: https://cynderhost.com/store/shared-hosting

    It would depend on what VPS you were comparing to, but we'd certainly be cheaper than most. Reliability won't be an issue (historically, 99.99%+)

    Thanked by (1)stevewatson301
  • @MikeA said: Shared hosting is more expensive, VPS has no licensing, web hosting you are expected to have the "best stack" with a commonly used commercial control panel, security software or stuff like CloudLinux (and the other paid options that go along with it), etc. Web hosting requires big NVMe drives, nobody wants SATA HDD and SATA SSD isn't that ideal market wise. Big NVMe cost money.

    What Mike said.

    Shared servers have all the wizbang software that noobs/average webmasters with no technical ability require. Sadly these days most host come up with dumb arbitrary limitations (the real limitations on a shared hot are CPU, RAM, and I/O not how many domains/subdomains or MySQL databases you have).

  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG
    edited June 1

    @Aractus said:
    Sadly these days most host come up with dumb arbitrary limitations (the real limitations on a shared hot are CPU, RAM, and I/O not how many domains/subdomains or MySQL databases you have).

    I agree. I think I will remove my domain limits.

    Edit: If anyone is interested, I made a new code "LESWEB50" that gives you 50% off recurring any web hosting plan in North America, Europe, and Singapore.
    https://extravm.com/webhosting.php
    10GB NVMe, $19.99/y w/ promo
    20GB NVMe, $34.99/y w/ promo
    30GB NVMe, $49.99/y w/ promo

  • Looks like Steve's request is also on the blue forum:

    Just to redirect website traffic and emails from about 30 websites I have to other websites I have. Don't need great support. Any ideas on good providers for this please?

    Emails from 30 websites - @stevewatson301 you're going to need a provider that is set up for that.

    @MikeA said: I agree. I think I will remove my domain limits.

    Jeez that was a quick decision! Space is obviously the next limitation, but it would take a very large website to hit the limits on modern shared servers.

  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG
    edited June 1

    @Aractus said:
    Jeez that was a quick decision! Space is obviously the next limitation, but it would take a very large website to hit the limits on modern shared servers.

    True, but object storage and remote SQL database options could alleviate this. There are options that can be used with normal hosting accounts with popular software that aren't expensive, so maybe I should write up a document about it.

    Thanked by (1)beagle
  • ehabehab Content Writer

    @MikeA can you enable jail shell "ssh" in the above shared hosting plans?

  • @ehab said: @MikeA can you enable jail shell "ssh" in the above shared hosting plans?

    It's in their knowledgebase here. Yes for cPanel, but DirectAdmin Mike would need to clarify.

    Thanked by (1)ehab
  • @Aractus said:

    @ehab said: @MikeA can you enable jail shell "ssh" in the above shared hosting plans?

    It's in their knowledgebase here. Yes for cPanel, but DirectAdmin Mike would need to clarify.

    They seem to think blocking VPN IPs is a good idea.
    It makes sense for purchases, but for the KB - I don't see why.

    BikeGremlin I/O
    Mostly WordPress ™

  • For shared hosting I'm using https://www.alphosting.ch/

    Amadex.com Domainer + IT Supporter | Brbljaona Balkan Chat Website

  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG
    edited June 1

    @bikegremlin said:
    They seem to think blocking VPN IPs is a good idea.
    It makes sense for purchases, but for the KB - I don't see why.

    Knowledgebase is on the same domain. Blocking DC networks that are commonly used by large VPN providers prevents 100% of L7 DDoS towards my website, and blocks 100% of fraud and people hosting things like CP and running carding/fraud rings via proxy. If you use a VPN with a unshared IP or I will always whitelist at request and have done it many times. It's been brought up many times that I block DC networks who don't care about abuse on their network (DigitalOcean for example most recently took 10 days to respond to an abuse report, imagine what it's like receiving a L7 DDOS from their network and it takes them 10 days to handle it? What about M247 or Cogent and their thousands of VPN IPs used for orders that end up being abusive?). U.S. datacenters are the main source of DDoS attacks and VPNs used for abuse. I've done many things to reduce manual work and keep things running smoothly, and that is a big reason why, I get large L7 DDoS often and my site stays up because I block most DC networks.

    So no, I don't want any of that on any of my websites at all.

    @ehab said:
    @MikeA can you enable jail shell "ssh" in the above shared hosting plans?

    It's enabled for all. The knowledgebase page is outdated, I updated it.

    Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Aractus
  • Surprised I didn't see anyone mention SmallWeb (Part of Nexus Bytes, but I've been using them prior to their acquisition).

    Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

  • @CamoYoshi said:
    Surprised I didn't see anyone mention SmallWeb (Part of Nexus Bytes, but I've been using them prior to their acquisition).

    Because of its owner's inactivity on these forums, maybe.

    Thanked by (3)CamoYoshi webcraft AaronSS
  • @lapua said: whats your budget

    Don't really have one. Since this is an experiment of sorts where I'm dealing with far more important things, I'd just really stick my app somewhere and have it run without the hassle.

    I do better understand the reasons for the pricing now, thanks to MikeA's and Virmach's responses. I'll probably just pony up the amount instead of trying to be a cheapskate.

    @Aractus said: Looks like Steve's request is also on the blue forum:

    That's not me though :smile: My project is far more complex than that, though from a shared hosting perspective I just have a PHP app that makes reads and writes to the database, and it should be performant enough.

  • @MikeA said: I've done many things to reduce manual work and keep things running smoothly, and that is a big reason why, I get large L7 DDoS often and my site stays up because I block most DC networks.

    Just a quick "thank you" for that explanation. I've been frustrated more than once to click through on one of your offers and get blocked despite being on a dedicated ip at hosthatch or virmach. Now that I understand why I'm not nearly as annoyed. :)

  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

    @skorous said:

    @MikeA said: I've done many things to reduce manual work and keep things running smoothly, and that is a big reason why, I get large L7 DDoS often and my site stays up because I block most DC networks.

    Just a quick "thank you" for that explanation. I've been frustrated more than once to click through on one of your offers and get blocked despite being on a dedicated ip at hosthatch or virmach. Now that I understand why I'm not nearly as annoyed. :)

    HostHatch was blocked a long time ago as they host Tor exit nodes, which is of course a main avenue for abuse and typically where the orders for highly illegal stuff came from. I don't have Virmach blocked, unless they use ColoCrossing's ASN? In that case ColoCrossing was blocked due to often L7 DDoS. Just two or three weeks ago I had a very large L7 HTTPS attacks and their network was the largest source of traffic, I reported the IPs but never had a response from their team.

    But as always, I will gladly whitelist IPs in use by individuals using their network.

    Thanked by (2)skorous webcraft
  • Can provide you a good packages in just $5.50/yr, package includes:

    • 10GB SSD Disk Space
    • Unlimited Bandwidth
    • 2 Hosted websites
    • Unlimited DirectAdmin Features
    • Offshore (NL) Location
    • 260000 Inodes
    • Free SSL
    • Free Softaculous App Installer
    • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee

    Datacenter: HostSlick Germany
    2000Gbit of DDoS Protection L3/L4
    Looking glass: https://lg-nl.servzen.com

    For more info: https://servzen.com/shared-hosting.html

    Thanks.

    Servzen.com | Premium Hosting Provider!
    Fast, secure and affordable plans | VPS Hosting | Shared Hosting.

  • @MikeA said:
    Edit: If anyone is interested, I made a new code "LESWEB50" that gives you 50% off recurring any web hosting plan in North America, Europe, and Singapore.
    https://extravm.com/webhosting.php
    10GB NVMe, $19.99/y w/ promo
    20GB NVMe, $34.99/y w/ promo
    30GB NVMe, $49.99/y w/ promo

    Would it be okay if the code is used for shorter billing period, like semi-annual? Also, will it be applicable for future plan upgrades? Thanks!

  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

    @casadebamburojo said:
    Would it be okay if the code is used for shorter billing period, like semi-annual? Also, will it be applicable for future plan upgrades? Thanks!

    They can be used for any period.

    Thanked by (2)AaronSS casadebamburojo
Sign In or Register to comment.