Default WHMCS Knowledgebase or third party?

KuroitKuroit Hosting Provider

Hello everyone,

We are going to start working on Knowledgebase for our hosting business.

Just curious, what do you use for Knowledgebase? Default WHMCS feature or some third party system.

I understand default WHMCS feature is handy when opening a ticket as it show related articles from KB, but I have seen more and more hosts moving to third party system for this.

Thank you for your input in advance!

https://www.kuroit.com - Managed cPanel Hosting & VPS Hosting in UK

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited June 2022
  • KuroitKuroit Hosting Provider

@Ympker said:
    I probably would prefer a custom solution. Notion may be a good fit :)

https://www.notion.so/blog/how-to-build-a-knowledge-management-system

Interesting! I have used Notion before, but do they allow using it with custom subdomains?
    I think it can only be used for in-house KB for team only and not as full-fledged KB system for clients.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• If you like the idea of using Notion, there's a lovely independent dev working on this to make it pretty for users: https://www.helpkit.so/

You can also use that with a custom sub-domain.

Thanked by (1)Kuroit
  • I prefer use wordpress with knowledgebase theme for better seo

Thanked by (2)Kuroit Asim

I’m a simple man I see gifs, I press thanks

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@Kuroit said:

@Ympker said:
    I probably would prefer a custom solution. Notion may be a good fit :)

https://www.notion.so/blog/how-to-build-a-knowledge-management-system

Interesting! I have used Notion before, but do they allow using it with custom subdomains?
    I think it can only be used for in-house KB for team only and not as full-fledged KB system for clients.

I'm not quite sure if they allow for sub domain branding but as long as you can publicly share your knowledge base you should be able to link to it.

Maybe helpkit.so (see comments below) is even better for the purpose.

• edited June 2022

No experience with WHMCS here.
    We're using OTRS, but assuming you'd like to pick the creme de la creme, ServiceNow is probably one of the best out there (at least judging from my experience as an SN end user, haven't had the chance to operate one)

Thanked by (2)Ympker Kuroit

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• @chimichurri said: at least judging from my experience as an SN end user, haven't had the chance to operate one

I can tell you that it's far from the best out there from an agent's standpoint :joy:

If you're willing to shell out some money, I'm pretty happy with Confluence/Confluence Cloud and Scroll Viewport (https://www.k15t.com/software/scroll-viewport) / Refined for Confluence (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/15231/refined-for-confluence-sites-themes?tab=overview&hosting=datacenter). Atlassian themselves actually use Scroll Viewport :)

Thanked by (1)Kuroit
  • I would prefer WordPress with a easy to customisable theme instead of WHMCS pre-built KB, because WHMCS can’t compete with easy to use & better SEO friendly WP in terms of flexibility.

Thanked by (1)Kuroit

STROMONIC.COM - Web Hosting, Reseller, Managed WP, VPS, GPU & Dedicated Servers!
    Data Centers: India, Finland, Canada, Bulgaria, United States
    Custom Quotation: [email protected]

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@ariq01 said:
    I prefer use wordpress with knowledgebase theme for better seo

@stromonic said:
    I would prefer WordPress with a easy to customisable theme instead of WHMCS pre-built KB, because WHMCS can’t compete with easy to use & better SEO friendly WP in terms of flexibility.

What exactly do you see as an SEO-related advantage of WordPress?

Does WHMCS allow for mobile-friendly design, internal linking, tags, image alt descriptions etc?

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• edited June 2022

@bikegremlin said:

@ariq01 said:

@stromonic said:
    I would prefer WordPress with a easy to customisable theme instead of WHMCS pre-built KB, because WHMCS can’t compete with easy to use & better SEO friendly WP in terms of flexibility.

Does WHMCS allow for mobile-friendly design, internal linking, tags, image alt descriptions etc?

According to me tags are useless, it’s only end up eating Google’s crawl allocated limit for your site. I am using noindex in robots.txt file for all tags. Instead of this which SEO friendly option does WHMCS offer for KB?

Where in another hand, with just few clicks SEO plugins can be installed on WP, which can help you to add tittle, meta description, to check keyword score, on page SEO score, keyword difficulty etc. It also have URL change options. I don’t think WHMCS have any such options for KB.

That’s why now most web hosting are moving from WHMCS KB to something crispy.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Kuroit

STROMONIC.COM - Web Hosting, Reseller, Managed WP, VPS, GPU & Dedicated Servers!
    Data Centers: India, Finland, Canada, Bulgaria, United States
    Custom Quotation: [email protected]

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited June 2022

@stromonic said:

@bikegremlin said:

@ariq01 said:

@stromonic said:

According to me tags are useless, it’s only end up eating Google’s crawl allocated limit for your site. I am using noindex in robots.txt file for all tags. Instead of this which SEO friendly option does WHMCS offer for KB?

Where in another hand, with just few clicks SEO plugins can be installed on WP, which can help you to add tittle, meta description, to check keyword score, on page SEO score, keyword difficulty etc. It also have URL change options. I don’t think WHMCS have any such options for KB.

That’s why now most web hosting are moving from WHMCS KB to something crispy.

Makes sense - thanks for the explanation.

Yup - WP SEO plugins help avoid silly mistakes when writing, I find them to be quite useful.

P.S.
    I meant HTML tags when I said: "tags" (like meta description tag etc.).

Edit:
    I have experience with WP, but have never seen the WHMCS KB backend.

Thanked by (1)Kuroit

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• but have never seen the WHMCS KB backend.

I'm pretty confident there's a reason a company needs to encrypt absolutely everything, I'm always suspicious of that 🤔

In terms of SEO - whmcs is horrific, we used to override certain routes to html sub directories and create our own pages for kb etc It was at least one thing not broken in an update each time!

Kian/katamaze made an SEO module for it iirc

Thanked by (1)Kuroit
  • KuroitKuroit Hosting Provider

Thank you! decided to go ahead with WordPress KB for now, as its quick and easy to manage + SEO benefits.

Thanked by (1)Ympker