VirMach - Complain - Moan - Praise - Chit Chat

Comments

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider

@cybertech said:
    virmach having no support is not that bad. but the time taken to get their servers back up, is not fantastic. maybe time to change all unstable hardware to 7950X!

I'm sure that will make it much more stable at higher temperatures for marginal speed gains.

@root said: This is absolutely true. Such flash sales are great, but not for environments of production where support is crucial (unless client is willing to pay separate for it).

I'm not going to get too far into the VirMach for production debate, but I will say that I'd generally assume for it to be common sense to maybe at least consider some kind of failover if someone intends to use $5 to $20 a year services for production when anything closer to full support level from a large company runs closer to $60 to $120 a year.

I do still really want to make sure we get back to reducing extended outages. As long as functionality is there on our side, and customers at the very least have the ability to ensure their services used for production are more or less accessible on their end, I'll definitely sleep easier.

• All servers can go down, it doesn't matter how much you pay for them. You can tell yourself something different, but that's just the truth. VirMach, other low end companies, or any provider is the same in this respect. If you haven't had machines randomly disappear off the face of the earth at AWS or GCP for no reason then you haven't used them for very long.

The only thing you can do to avoid it is have proper redundancy properly designed. If you rely on one machine or one provider then you're in trouble no matter how much you pay.

Thanked by (3)FrankZ yoursunny saibal
  • Anyone else having NYCB037 connections die out a lot last few days? Currently getting like 10-60 mbit downloading while getting 750+ uploading

• edited January 2023

@FrankZ said: The thing I have a hard time understanding is why some folks keep buying from VirMach when they know that VirMach does not meet their expectations year after year. It almost seems like they are in an abusive relationship thinking that if I complain loud enough, often enough, they will change

To me personally it's not so much about Virmach, but abusive behaviour of certatin forum members aimed toward everyone who express some concern, negative experience or something non-praising regarding host.

I am not bothered that much about Virmach, I mean I know their pluses and minuses and I have my own opinion about all that, however I will raise my voice everytime when some cult followers will try beat down another poor sap with his legitimate concerns and complains.
    You said "in this thread all opinions on VirMach are encouraged to be expressed" just that in reality it's far from that. Several of you don't want to hear anything negative about your favourite host. People like @nutjob are often offensive, agressive, insultive toward everyone who don't follow their cult. And on the top of that they complain all the time about... complaining. If that's not next level shit... :)
    Sometimes I am called by some angry and deservedly suspended chinese scalpers "virmach lackey" and sometimes I am called by cult followers "virmach hater". I am neither of that. I am legit virmach client who have his own opinion about service and also opinion about cult followers. Two separate things.
    I want for host to succed, to concentrate their energy into fixing ongoin issues to thrive again more than just open another flash sale and you won't see me often to criticize host just for the sake of it, but while i try to be productive helpful member in many threads you will see me criticize you (I don't mean you personally, I write in general) everytime when you will try to be dick toward people's legitimate concerns.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@Mumbly said:

@FrankZ said: The thing I have a hard time understanding is why some folks keep buying from VirMach when they know that VirMach does not meet their expectations year after year. It almost seems like they are in an abusive relationship thinking that if I complain loud enough, often enough, they will change

To me personally it's not so much about Virmach, but abusive behaviour of certatin forum members aimed toward everyone who express some concern, negative experience or something non-praising regarding host.

I am not bothered that much about Virmach, I mean I know their pluses and minuses and I have my own opinion about all that, however I will raise my voice everytime when some cult followers will try beat down another poor sap with his legitimate concerns and complains.
    You said "in this thread all opinions on VirMach are encouraged to be expressed" just that in reality it's far from that. Several of you don't want to hear anything negative about your favourite host. People like @nutjob are often offensive, agressive, insultive toward everyone who don't follow their cult. And on the top of that they complain all the time about... complaining. If that's not next level shit... :)
    Sometimes I am called by some angry and deservedly suspended chinese scalpers "virmach lackey" and sometimes I am called by cult followers "virmach hater". I am neither of that. I am legit virmach client who have his own opinion about service and also opinion about cult followers. Two separate things.
    I want for host to succed, to concentrate their energy into fixing ongoin issues to thrive again more than just open another flash sale and you won't see me often to criticize host just for the sake of it, but you will see me criticize you (I don't mean you personally, I write in general) everytime when you will try to be dick toward people's legitimate concerns.

I hope that made you feel better. :)

Thanked by (1)skorous

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @Mumbly said:
    you will see me criticize you [...] everytime when you will try to be dick toward people's legitimate concerns.

When you say "people" does it also include some bots used for some public VPN sales behind some Great Firewall? This is important if your business is about to lose millions.

How are you... online?

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited January 2023

can Virmach at least make the view in client area -> services to show ACTIVE ones by default? thats one of the 2 problems that caused me to purchase 3x specials by mistake given the nature of timed flash deals.

now all 3 VMs are provisioned on same node, no redundancy, low performance if i YABS all at the same time.

btw does transfer request for paypal purchases still require mugshot?

Thanked by (1)lemoncube

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @FrankZ said: I hope that made you feel better.

Of course! It's important to do the right thing.

@root said: When you say "people" does it also include some bots used for some public VPN sales behind some Great Firewall?

Nah, bot operators, scalpers, tos abusers etc... usually call me "virmach lackey" in the argument. As we all know it's hard to please everyone :)

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited January 2023

@cybertech said: btw does transfer request for paypal purchases still require mugshot?

The last I heard this was not required for establish customers anymore.
    (I will add "without any flags" because I expect it to be true but VirMach has never said this)

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

edited January 2023

@FrankZ said:

@cybertech said: btw does transfer request for paypal purchases still require mugshot?

(I will add "without any flags" because I expect it to be true but VirMach has never said this)

so i have a genuine issue here with 2 extra exact same VPSes on same node i dont need, refund to credit was rejected (not the happiest but for $7 each its definitely not end of the world) so really just looking for a way out instead of truly wasting it.

a smooth transfer request without mugshot should make virmach, me, and the new buyer happy altogether.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited January 2023

@cybertech said:

@FrankZ said:

so i have a genuine issue here with 2 extra exact same VPSes on same node i dont need, refund to credit was rejected (not the happiest but for $7 each its definitely not end of the world) so really just looking for a way out instead of truly wasting it.

a smooth transfer request without mugshot should make virmach, me, and the new buyer happy altogether.

Is that the $7/yr 1 core 2GB RAM 30 GB disk in LA ?
    If so I will take one off your hands.

• @FrankZ said:

Wonder if ol Virmy saved my 10 year account. :)

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

@FrankZ said:

@cybertech said:

@FrankZ said:

its in SEA,

I think its
    1 vcore
    2.2GB ram
    20GB diks
    2TB transfer

• @FrankZ said:

@cybertech said:

@FrankZ said:

You must be rich or something. That's a lot of money right there.

How are you... online?

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@cybertech said:

@FrankZ said:

@cybertech said:

@FrankZ said:

its in SEA,

I think its
    1 vcore
    2.2GB ram
    20GB diks
    2TB transfer

I'm full up in seattle so I'll pass on that one.

• @FrankZ said:

@cybertech said:

@FrankZ said:

@cybertech said:

@FrankZ said:

its in SEA,

I think its
    1 vcore
    2.2GB ram
    20GB diks
    2TB transfer

You sick?

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@AuroraZero said:

@FrankZ said:

You sick?

lol, no I just have 3 bigger ones there already.

• AuroraZeroAuroraZero Retired
    edited January 2023

@FrankZ said:

@AuroraZero said:

@FrankZ said:

You sick?

lol, no I just have 3 bigger ones there already.

When has that ever stopped you?

I just wish I could trust them for production materials. I am working on something that I might be able to launch by the end of the week if I can find what I am looking for and get it running.

• It seems that the vps on CHI2Z027 cannot log in via ssh, and the SolusVM control panel cannot be opened.

• edited January 2023

The monitoring of the parent machine of node DAL-Z006 is normal, but the small machine under this node keeps showing offline, and it has not been working properly. Rebooting, reinstalling the system, reconfiguring the network, shutting down the machine, and waiting for an hour before turning it on again did not work.

• @FrankZ said:

@Fritz said: Let me remind you, there are rules here (not obligatory here though), that protects both buyer and seller.
    For example, only Hosters with provider tag are allowed to post offer, why, to protect buyer from scam providers (one of the reason).
    Well, we are at different point of view I guess.

From the rules:
    LES is a buyer beware market, it is not possible to pre-filter every offer or host.
    As previously stated this is a buyer beware forum, some efforts will be made to prevent people from falling victim to obvious scams, however, this forum is not a nanny state as others in the industry tend to be you must apply common sense.
    Do not buy yearly deals from a company that has not even been in business for a year.

It's really from review threads or member comments that we all try to make judgements about how a provider may fit our needs. Based on Masons previous statements the community can voice their opinions in many places on this forum so that people who are considering purchasing from a provider can make a reasonably informed decision, LES in no way can protect you from a provider that you purchase from. As an example, who would have though NexusBytes could be the next deadpool ? Staff can try our best to keep the obvious scams away from LES, but in the end we are just like you, members of a community, trying to make our best judgements about a provider, before we hand out a tag.

We hooman are weak. Especially about money.

One more little question, if other host does the same like Virmach, will you let them do it as well @FrankZ ?

Open new thread as many as needed even previous sales have problems and not solved yet.

If I remember correctly, one host here get bullied because that hooman deliver the service in 90 days. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

• rootroot OG
    edited January 2023

@Fritz said:

@FrankZ said:

@Fritz said: Let me remind you, there are rules here (not obligatory here though), that protects both buyer and seller.
    For example, only Hosters with provider tag are allowed to post offer, why, to protect buyer from scam providers (one of the reason).

From the rules:
    LES is a buyer beware market, it is not possible to pre-filter every offer or host.
    As previously stated this is a buyer beware forum, some efforts will be made to prevent people from falling victim to obvious scams, however, this forum is not a nanny state as others in the industry tend to be you must apply common sense.
    Do not buy yearly deals from a company that has not even been in business for a year.

It's really from review threads or member comments that we all try to make judgements about how a provider may fit our needs. Based on Masons previous statements the community can voice their opinions in many places on this forum so that people who are considering purchasing from a provider can make a reasonably informed decision, LES in no way can protect you from a provider that you purchase from. As an example, who would have though NexusBytes could be the next deadpool ? Staff can try our best to keep the obvious scams away from LES, but in the end we are just like you, members of a community, trying to make our best judgements about a provider, before we hand out a tag.

We all are weak. It's why we're here, on the low-end side of history.

One more little question, if other host does the same like Virmach, will you let them do it as well @FrankZ ?

He just said LES rules. If another provider like Virmach appears, same rules apply.

Open new thread as many as needed even previous sales have problems and not solved yet.

Open ticket. Ticket is a very interesting way of communicating with support department. Try it, or even pay for it, if you need it that much.

If I remember correctly, one host here get bullied because that hooman deliver the service in 90 days. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

If you want to use an argument, provide link, or screenshot, or at least a name to help us remember too. We can't understand MJJ language properly, especially if one loses millions.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

How are you... online?

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited January 2023

@Fritz said:

@FrankZ said:

From the rules:

I am not sure what you saying, so can you help me out.
    VirMach has opened two threads since April of 2022.
    According to the rules providers can open an offer thread once every seven days.
    So this is why I am confused, when have you ever seen LES staff limit, a provider who has a tag, from putting up an offer that meets the offer rules ?

EDIT:

Yes, and I looked into this and found that the 90 days to deliver had to do with things like fiber installations, and not VPS or server delivery. You can see what I did and said in that provider's last offer thread or the one before that. Please note the mod edit at the bottom of the OP.

• edited January 2023

IIRC the customer wanted to buy an IPv4 range and asked the host how long it would take. The host said something like a couple days, so the customer bought it and ended up having to wait 90 days or something like that. What made it worse is someone found a post from that host elsewhere asking to rent the ip4 range, so they didn't even have the product that was supposed to be delivered in "a couple days".

So then it just became a joke in all their sale threads.

Edit: One of their posts on OGF said "It's not true we asked you to wait 90 days, but in fact our SLA was clear: we have 90 days to deliver any service."

So technically they did admit any service (so VPS's) can take 90 days.

It also looked like the customer only ended up waiting like 2-3 weeks from the order date, so the 90 day wait was an exaggeration

• ChadFranzChadFranz Retired
    edited January 2023

@Fritz will need to rewrite message so that Senior who's not most literate person on the world (sorry father!) won't miss the essence of your message about starting new sale without fulfilling orders from previous sale.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@soulchief said:
    IIRC the customer wanted to buy an IPv4 range and asked the host how long it would take. The host said something like a couple days, so the customer bought it and ended up having to wait 90 days or something like that. What made it worse is someone found a post from that host elsewhere asking to rent the ip4 range, so they didn't even have the product that was supposed to be delivered in "a couple days".

So then it just became a joke in all their sale threads.

Edit: One of their posts on OGF said "It's not true we asked you to wait 90 days, but in fact our SLA was clear: we have 90 days to deliver any service."

So technically they did admit any service (so VPS's) can take 90 days.

It also looked like the customer only ended up waiting like 2-3 weeks from the order date, so the 90 day wait was an exaggeration

Thank you for adding helpful details to the story. Just as an FYI they have revised their paperwork as of Jan 1st, 2023 so that this is clearer then in the past. In addition to the general agreement, that does state 90 days, there is a secondary agreement concerning VPS and dedicated servers. If the offer thread was for IPv4 ranges or fiber installation the 90 days delivery window could still apply, but the offer threads in question were for VPS and/or dedicated servers, where it does not. I think that this is an important distinction.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited January 2023

@ChadFranz said:
    @Fritz will need to rewrite message so that Senior who's not most literate person on the world (sorry father!) won't miss the essence of your message about starting new sale without fulfilling orders from previous sale.

Why do kids always think their parents are stupid until they get older. (rhetorical question).
    Chad, it still does not matter. I expect that Mason knows that VirMach has an offer thread and that he still has not received his $1.11 from the flash sale. Do you see him shutting down the VirMach offer thread ? If it was a thing that should be done why would he not be doing it ?

• @FrankZ said: Thank you for adding helpful details to the story. Just as an FYI they have revised their paperwork as of Jan 1st, 2023 so that this is clearer then in the past.

Comparator not a sequence of events. :)

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @FrankZ said:

@ChadFranz said:

Why do kids always think their parents are stupid until they get older. (rhetorical question).
    Chad, it still does not matter. I expect that Mason knows that VirMach has an offer thread and that he still has not received his $1.11 from the flash sale. Do you see him shutting down the VirMach offer thread ? If it was a thing that should be done why would he not be doing it ?

On this particular one I can at least see their point. I don't see it as a problem ( personal opinion only ) because these are simpler, straight forward machines that should auto-deploy properly as opposed to the Virbot's which seem to have a failure percentage. Simple sales while Virmach goes about fixing the remaining Pendings. Secondarily, using @Mason not shutting it down doesn't address whether it goes against any rules/best practices; only that more than one person may have missed it.

• ChadFranzChadFranz Retired
    edited January 2023

@FrankZ said:

@ChadFranz said:

Why are you attacking me for translating it for you pops and what Mason have to do with your trouble of comprehending what Fritz posted? :/ I am sorry if I offended you somehow. That was not my intention. Can we all be friends?