VPS Crashed, Just Gone Offline on Load

edited July 2023 in Help

Hello, is there anyone here that is using GreenCloud Black Friday 2022 Plan?
This plan is on node SGNVME4.

I am experiencing an issue where the service would just went offline if there is a load on the VPS.

It crashed, just went offline on control panel, doing simple thing such as uploading 10GB file through sftp with GUI Filezilla.

I checked with support (opened ticket) and they said nothing is wrong

So I just try to reinstall the OS, however I cannot install any as the VPS would just crash during installation

I tried installing by
1. Netboot - it will not load any OS, the VPS will just reboot itself after downloading any OS (I have tried Debian, openSUSE, AlmaLinux, Ubuntu, Rocky Linux)
2. ISO - I have tried the available ISO (Debian 12, Ubuntu 20.04, Alma Linux 9), but the VPS will just crash during installation. It just went offline on control panel during installation, I have to boot / reboot it from control panel. Recording below, crash is at minute 11.

I have three (3) services with GreenCloud, but only this BF 2022 is having this problem.

I have talked to support, send the recording through Ticket. I have asked to try moving this service to another node but they said can’t move node because it is a promotional plan

Support just say to use the template OS available, It is better but it also does crash, I was just reinstalling my things. It crashed when I was building caddy with xcaddy

Is there anything else that i can do to show / test that there is a problem with the VPS instance itself?
Does the VPS itself going offline during installation of OS with ISO not indicate that something is wrong?

Comments

• most likely getting killed for using sudden spike of I/O

try using smaller OS, like Alpine, and see how it goes.

this video doesn't help a lot since it doesn't show any error, nor you're posting the log of installation itself. if you insist using debian, probably your best bet is to install it manually like using chroot.

If there's no way to identify the problem, don't expect it can be fixed. this is why rubber duck debugging is a thing.

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• I had a similar issue with my dedicated server which went offline (hang) with load. Turns out, it happens when you put too much load on the drive (which i was doing since it's a storage drive and I was transferring files) and the root cause (as investigated by the DC) was failing sata drive, which they replaced. Could be a similar issue maybe where your VM's nodes drive is failing?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• edited July 2023

@Encoders said:
    most likely getting killed for using sudden spike of I/O

this video doesn't help a lot since it doesn't show any error, nor you're posting the log of installation itself. if you insist using debian, probably your best bet is to install it manually like using chroot.

If there's no way to identify the problem, don't expect it can be fixed. this is why rubber duck debugging is a thing.

Yeah the video was just to show that the VPS just went offline during OS installation even though it was not interacted with in any way.
    I am not sure how to get the installation log post the crash, not sure if there is even any.
    It doesn’t really have to be Debian OS, I just happen to record Debian installation and I have tried Ubuntu ISO and also Alma Linux ISO with the same result

@Encoders said:
    try using smaller OS, like Alpine, and see how it goes.

Hmm never use Alpine, will try that

• I am on a node in RO, that shows the same behavior from time to time.
    It just shuts off (VM gets killed?) when installing updates or updating a docker container...

• @somik said:
    I had a similar issue with my dedicated server which went offline (hang) with load. Turns out, it happens when you put too much load on the drive (which i was doing since it's a storage drive and I was transferring files) and the root cause (as investigated by the DC) was failing sata drive, which they replaced. Could be a similar issue maybe where your VM's nodes drive is failing?

I can confirm that this is indeed a possibility. I had a similar issue with an OVH dedicated server in Canada. iirc the crash in the softraid was caused by a faulty drive, which had to be replaced to fix the problem.

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• hello,

please also tell us what cpu and ram resources your vps has