Oracle Free Tier Experience - What location is best?

edited December 2023 in Reviews

Hey all,

I plan to try Oracle free tier. I hear you can only pick your region for the servers once. Any recommendations on which region is best?

I see in the US, Ashburn, Chicago and Phoenix have extra resources compared to others.
https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/General/Concepts/regions.htm

Best defined by best availability, less likely to be reclaimed by oracle, reliable and no issues. Feel free to share anything else one should look out for. Plan to use this to test stuff. Not production.

Also if you can only create two block volumes for storage. Does that mean you can only create two VPS’? Curious if one could divide resources and have 2 AMD and 4 AMP at once.

Thanks

Comments

• edited December 2023

With 200GB of free storage and minimum boot volume size of 50GB, you can only have up to four instances unless you want to pay a bit for the extra storage.

• @Crab said:
    With 200GB of free storage and minimum boot volume size of 50GB, you can only have up to four instances unless you want to pay a bit for the extra storage.

Are you sure? Website says this so that’s why I am asking. I think block volumes can be shared by instances still so not an issue? Not sure so seeking input.

Oracle website:
    Storage
    Block Volume Storage
    Boot and block volume storage

Always Free
    2 block volumes, 200 GB total. Plus 5 volume backups.

• The minimum size of boot volume is 50GB.

• edited December 2023

Well minimum boot volume is still 50GB so that is the main factor that limits your options. You cannot create a VPS with just 20GB storage for example. Boot volume in their definition is different than block volume so you can have more than two.

If I had to guess, Ashburn is a busier location than Phoenix or Chicago, so the last two could be easier to get in.

• I've had good results in Phoenix

• I heard good reports for Ashburns

• Oracle would not give me a free VPS, which was upsetting.

VPS providers to check out:

• @chitree said:
    Oracle would not give me a free VPS, which was upsetting.

What do you mean?

• @huntercop said:

@chitree said:
    Oracle would not give me a free VPS, which was upsetting.

What do you mean?

They kept denying my requests for a free VPS, so I called and spoke with them. They then told me that they could not tell me what was wrong & I told them that won't help me fix it.

I've also heard of Oracle just shutting down people's free VPS too, which would be bad if you had set something up you used on it.

I'm done with Oracle.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

• Oracle free scares me kinda like SkyNet

Thanked by (1)chitree

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• fredfred OG
    edited December 2023

I was using Phoenix. But my account stopped working because they said: one instance was not being used

• @AuroraZero said:
    Oracle free scares me kinda like SkyNet

they might as well be SkyNet

• @chitree said:

@AuroraZero said:

Alao gives me diabetes

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @chitree said:

@AuroraZero said:

https://www.oracle.com/artificial-intelligence/

• @chitree said:

@AuroraZero said:

They’re not that good. Come on.

• edited December 2023

I got out of stock for Ashburn after signing up. I did pay as you go to just get resources and move on since oracle makes it hard.

I always get estimates like an ARM with 3OCPU and 8GB of ram is 20-30$ a month. I don’t think I’ll be charged if I stay within the limits. Is that right?

Thanked by (1)tototo
  • @huntercop said:
    I got out of stock for Ashburn after signing up. I did pay as you go to just get resources and move on since oracle makes it hard.

I always get estimates like an ARM with 3OCPU and 8GB of ram is 20-30$ a month. I don’t think I’ll be charged if I stay within the limits. Is that right?

There were no resources in Free Tier, and after the upgrade to the Pay As You Go, the resources appeared?

I see Out of capacity for shape VM.Standard.A1.Flex in Chicago :/

Thanked by (1)idleparty