"Double bandwidth" and similar provider marketing tactics discussion

SystemSystem Administrator
This discussion was created from comments split from: Unlimited Web Hosting in exchange for a Footer Backlink..

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@VeronCloudUK said:

@hornet said:
    Do you have a good pic of the footer backlink?

Hi, we do not want it as a banner; adding it as a link is sufficient. It can even have the same color as the background.

As far as I understand, you might be shooting yourself in the foot.

I would suggest to make the link clearly visible to any humans, and have a rel=sponsored or rel=nofollow attribute.
    Just to be on the safe side and avoid any "Google penalties" for the website owners and your domain - while getting the promotion you seek.

Thanked by (2)_MS_ AlwaysSkint

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• I'll just drop this here.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin AlwaysSkint
  • Backlinks won't get your stuff on top rank.

Thanked by (2)_MS_ ariq01

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• edited December 2023

This brings me back 15 years ago, when there were post to host communities.

https://web.archive.org/web/20081108100026/http://nxserve.net/

https://web.archive.org/web/20090315081306/http://www.thewebworld.org/forum/

And forum reputation was a currency for hosting.

I offered subdomains back then, just subdomains NS delegation, no hosting... The internet was a different place.

And the skies were greener and the grass was bluer...

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • This tactic gives me the diabeetus

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin host_c

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @AuroraZero said:
    This tactic gives me the diabeetus

What is this tactic?

• old school back linking tactic to boost seo rankings

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

I suppose it would be fair and reasonable to open a separate (off topic?) thread to discuss marketing tactics, and leave the offer thread without such comments - regardless of how one feels about the "bouble bandwidth" stuff.

Relja FourHailMarys Novović

Thanked by (1)_MS_

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

@AuroraZero said:

For what it's worth:
    WordPress.com and XenForo (to name a few) use that tactics - but with clearly visible nofollow links.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Hosting Provider

Should we do "Double bandwidth" on FreeVPS.org? 🤔

• @Janevski said:

I offered subdomains back then, just subdomains NS delegation, no hosting... The internet was a different place.

I've provided free subdomains before, but no one has ever actually used one.

• AuroraZeroAuroraZero Retired
    edited December 2023

@bikegremlin said:

@AuroraZero said:

For what it's worth:
    WordPress.com and XenForo (to name a few) use that tactics - but with clearly visible nofollow links.

It's not worth much honestly at least not anymore. The big boys closed the loop hole years ago. They don't carry as much weight in the algorithms.

If you do it honestly that is no problem but, it still does not give you the advantage it used to and using the "hidden" method gives me the diabeetus and gets you on my list.

But what do I know I am just a dumb Yeti you can ignore me.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

• @mwt said:

@Janevski said:

Same - offered subs to a bunch of my domains back then, to Shell Hosting companies etc., and others, somewhere during the early days of afraid.org.

It was somewhat of a good feeling when you "stumble" upon your domain on the Internet, or on IRC, people using them for Virtual Hosts, websites, mail, or just FDNS for their servers.

I believe, if I continued doing that today, I'll surely be receiving all sorts of "letters" in my mailbox :smiley:

Thanked by (1)mwt

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @TheDP said:

@mwt said:

@Janevski said:

Same - offered subs to a bunch of my domains back then, to Shell Hosting companies etc., and others, somewhere during the early days of afraid.org.

It was somewhat of a good feeling when you "stumble" upon your domain on the Internet, or on IRC, people using them for Virtual Hosts, websites, mail, or just FDNS for their servers.

I believe, if I continued doing that today, I'll surely be receiving all sorts of "letters" in my mailbox :smiley:

Grandpa, I did the same 🥹

• @Amadex said:

@TheDP said:

At 10 years old? :smiley:

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @TheDP said:

@Amadex said:

@TheDP said:

At 10 years old? :smiley:

Between Brazzers and brazzers

Dentistry is my passion

• @AuroraZero said: But what do I know I am just a dumb Yeti you can ignore me.

Trolling photographers throughout the world for decades. You're craftier than you let on. :P

• @Chievo said: Between Brazzers and brazzers

It was the "Round And Brown" era :smiley:

Thanked by (1)Chievo

• @skorous said:

@AuroraZero said: But what do I know I am just a dumb Yeti you can ignore me.

Trolling photographers throughout the world for decades. You're craftier than you let on. :pensive:

:astonished: who me? I am just a nobody pay no attention to me.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Fckin double bandwidth.

If I have a 1gigabit link and you give me double bandwidth I had better end up with a goddamn 2gigabit link.

Call it network traffic allowance or ingress/egress or whatever...but not bandwidth.

Must be some sort of conspiracy among VPS providers because surely at least some know what "bandwidth" means. Or maybe y'all are out to gaslight me

• @havoc said:
    Fckin double bandwidth.

If I have a 1gigabit link and you give me double bandwidth I had better end up with a goddamn 2gigabit link.

Call it network traffic allowance or ingress/egress or whatever...but not bandwidth.

Must be some sort of conspiracy among VPS providers because surely at least some know what "bandwidth" means. Or maybe y'all are out to gaslight me

Industry term that is a layover from the old days.

Nobody seems to give a crap anymore besides helps me root out the non players so don't change it now.

• Why not just provide it in the quote?

• A client engagement thing. :)

• host_chost_c Hosting Provider

@havoc

BS Marketing if you ask me. It is shit, thread bump, so other potential customers can see that some are getting the service, so some trust is gained over the sale, and this is specific for new providers usually.

I personally do not like it. I as a provider, own the fact that some might not like my services, or I am to new and no trust is yet gained, and so on. Posting the invoice number for double the penis size is, well, crap.

Crap that kinda works, as I saw.

Gaining market share at the beginning is hard, if I do my job well, in time, trust will be gained ( more or less B) ), I just have to wait it out. Problem is the waiting, some do not have a business plan, and want a ROI in 6-12 months, well, that is not gonna happen, but they just do not know it.

There is a side effect if you grow too fast and are at the beginning of the hosting business, you will most likely fail at technical level. As the team is small, knowledge is scares, and you will be overwhelmed with tickets and bad reviews. So the thing that helped you in the first place, posting the invoice number for double the penis size, will actually be your ending in the long run, if you loose control.

Managing a 1G line is simple, a 10G line no, a multiple 10G lines with redundancy and multiple locations, that is even harder. Not to mention the cost of decent hardware.

Another provider wrote , that if you only rely on Forums at the launch of your business as hosting and have no other income from other services, you have a good chance to bite the dust ( hope I got it right, and not twisted hes's words :3 ).
    He was right on spot on this, most share the same idea, and this is actually a fact.

Selling with little margin, or none, will eventually dry you out, financially, physically and psychically, the later is the worst, as when that happens, you will loose your shit and focus and bite the dust in the end.

Established providers do not need to post the invoice number bla bla bla, they usually do good on a sale, but even them use this, as it seems most like it and they just go with the flow.

Truth is, if a sales thread has no action/movement in it, people thing it is dead, and walk away.
    I imagine this as a bazaar, where every sales guy is shouting "come and get the best vps for just 5 bucks", "best in business" and so on, so the people in the market notice them in the big crowd.

Footer Backlink is the same, but it does not work, but it did create views in the OP thread, so I have to give him credit for that.

After so many years of VPS sales, it is quite hard to come up with something "new" to boost your sales, or you can do option B, do your stuff good, and wait it out.....

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Host-C - VPS Services Provider - AS211462

"If there is no struggle there is no progress"

The Bazaar analogy:

You need your own folks to stand in line, make a crowd, make a line.
    :)

Shady and poor-taste stuff does work.
    It's up to you whether you'll use it, i.e. whether you'll be "that guy" ("that company").

Relja

Thanked by (1)host_c

I would actually like to see, in the signature of providers, the Brand Name, AS Number and some really short description/quote.

It would look nice, clean, and nice and clean = professionalism. This is my idea on this, feel free to bring the pitchforks, saw, and other stuff on me B)

• @host_c said: I would actually like to see, in the signature of providers, the Brand Name, AS Number and some really short description/quote.

Brand Name is meaningless, but what about providing a link to legal company information (company registration number, official company address, etc.)

edited December 2023

@cmeerw said:

@host_c said: I would actually like to see, in the signature of providers, the Brand Name, AS Number and some really short description/quote.

Brand Name is meaningless, but what about providing a link to legal company information (company registration number, official company address, etc.)

OK, agreed, but as there will be multi-country companies, reading the info in SK, BG, TK, or other exotic languages compared to ENG will be hard for some/most. And that is useless by the way, if you cannot interpret the info. Vetting has to be done by the admins. Or if they miss something, members can send a message to an admin to re-check the company.

Posting the Registration number, yes, good. Address, well, not quite, as that can be a PO box number, and that is useless in most cases.

Edit:

And if you have he's address are you gonna hop on a plane to beat the vps out of him? nop. Also, there were cases of death threats some got in their mail at home because they hosted whatever shit the customer put on the vps, so again, nop.

But we will derail the thread if we go this way.

Let's stick to the "put your invoice number for double the DD size"

• @host_c said: OK, agreed, but as there will be multi-country companies, reading the info in SK, BG, TK, or other exotic languages compared to ENG will be hard for some/most. And that is useless by the way, if you cannot interpret the info. Vetting has to be done by the admins. Or if they miss something, members can send a message to an admin to re-check the company.

No, sorry. Admins may want to do some vetting to allow a provider on here, but it's my money I am spending, and I want to know who is getting that money, so I want to know who I am dealing with (I don't think admins provide a money back guarantee here). And if I don't understand the information a company provides, maybe I don't want to deal with that company.

Posting the Registration number, yes, good. Address, well, not quite, as that can be a PO box number, and that is useless in most cases.

Again, if a company wants to hide behind a PO box, maybe I don't want to deal with them - so it's still useful information for me.

And yes, I have only bought from companies on here who make all this information easily accessible on their home page (together with understandable terms and conditions that seem somewhat fair).

maybe in the user profile, some filled with the data you request can be added?

All that it is public by the way, registration number, bank account ( IBAN ), main company address.