Need some opinions and guidence

Hey guys,

So the Yeti is trying embark into the wide world of employment after many years of just freelancing and what not.

What I am looking for is opiions and guidance on whether or not I should build a site highlighting myself.

If you say yes I would need the most economical and professional domain extension to start out.

I am really not good at highlighting myself so some uidance would be helpful there as well.

I appreciate any and all advice.

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Friction shifters rock!
    Always test your brakes before starting.

There, and opinion and a piece of advice. :)

Regarding the site: I really don't know.
    References and recommendations can help, and so does knowing what you are applying for.
    Good CV (well-written one) is probably just as important, and so is knowing how to "advertise yourself" when it comes to interviews.

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero skorous

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Try about.me?

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited February 21

LinkedIn, Xing, etc might help you finding a job. You can also quite easily setup a CV there. Recommendations, of course, can go a long way, too.

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • DazzleDazzle OG
    edited February 22

IMO, you need to create a personal website. Make the site title your full name. Write a page about yourself, achievements, and portfolio if any. Add some content to showcase your expertise.

The goal is that when HR searches your name on Google, they will visit your website and read information about you directly from a source that you can control.

I have done this and my interview invitation rate has increased, got a job and ended my 4+ years freelancing journey.

About the domain, I purchased ccTLD from my country that cost only USD 1/year, installed WordPress on a shared hosting (Fran's Buyshared.net, ultra cheap). So the total cost is under USD 10.

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• It depends a lot on what kind of job you are looking for. If you are a developer, a github repo and a good LinkedIn profile probably adds more weight than a personal website. If you're a model a personal website with a portfolio is probably more interesting than your github.
    But no matter what profession you are in, a good, professional website never hurts you.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@rcy026 said:
    It depends a lot on what kind of job you are looking for. If you are a developer, a github repo and a good LinkedIn profile probably adds more weight than a personal website. If you're a model a personal website with a portfolio is probably more interesting than your github.
    But no matter what profession you are in, a good, professional website never hurts you.

For some jobs it's probably best to be as anonymoust and low-profile as reasonabley possible.
    But generaly, yes, a good portfolio doesn't hurt.

Thanked by (1)chitree

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• edited February 22

In my personal opinion:

Perception is for 80% most important for getting work and presenting yourself.

Make your resume a site that is easily printable to a one-pager CV which you can use to apply to jobs. Highlight all projects and link to anything relevant. Keep story telling to a minimum; you can do this once you're in the door on your first or second interview.

Don't ever lie on your resume, but you can apply sales tactics to make it sound nicer than it actually is. You're dealing with HR people, and most of HR, are susceptible to this :).

1. Start out with a proper linkedin layout: https://www.linkedin.com/business/sales/blog/profile-best-practices/17-steps-to-a-better-linkedin-profile-in-2017

2. Build a nice portfolio site that is easy to read through. Average people have a attention spam for reading resumes of <2 minutes. Also, let a tool like ChatGPT check and correct spelling since some companies use some kind of automated cv checking tools.

3. Learn STAR method: https://www.themuse.com/advice/star-interview-method

4. Expand your online presence/findability and apply for jobs.

• nepotism is the best in terms of getting a job.

do your yee yee ass portofolio websites if you want to start your own company, it's not needed if you want to work for xor with someone else.

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• I'd highly suggest a portfolio showcasing your work. Heck, maybe even include YetiNode in it.
    Also would recommend a .dev domain, it's like 10 murican bucks.

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero