Warning: NexusBytes Deadpool Imminent, MOVE YOUR DATA

Comments

• @shallow said:
    If you haven't ordered your pizza or Chinese foods by now I don't know what to say.

I once got pizza courtesy of Nexusbytes.

Thanked by (1)shallow
  • FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@debaser said:

@shallow said:
    If you haven't ordered your pizza or Chinese foods by now I don't know what to say.

That seems to be a death rattle then.

Ask @jarland about delimiter and popcorn…

As for buyshared, we haven’t had stock for over 2 years now. Sometime this year we will spin off the company into namecrane, our absolutely not vaporware domain registrar.

Francisco

• @ShockHosting any discount for reseller hosting?

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2023

Confirming my Singapore Service is down.
    Auto renewed via credit on 16 Jan* , disabled 17 Jan.
    Very apt.
    Sad to see things end this way for NB.

• I had written off the USD 50 ish credit as an expense for previous financial year, so not much harm done.
    Thanked by (1)bdl

Squats are the new Push-ups

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

It's very sad.

Thanked by (1)imok
  • I just don't understand. Why?

:(

• @imok said:
    I just don't understand. Why?

owner gave up/cbf?

• rootroot OG
    edited January 2023

@bdl said:

@imok said:
    I just don't understand. Why?

owner gave up/cbf?

... just like other owners gave up in the past. Nothing new. It's not the first deadpool. it's not the last deadpool. It's nothing special (even though some fans want to make it look special). The popcorn drama is the same.

Hopefully @jarland will manage to save some services of clients. I respect him for his choice. A business should not be just about greed or money. This reminds me of Terrahost who managed to save some services from the fall of HostSolutions.

How are you... online?

• I was a fan.

• imokimok OG
    edited January 2023

Oops. Double post.

Thanked by (1)tototo
  • @vyas said: Confirming my Singapore Service is down.

What do you have there?

My SG VPS is still up.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @TheDP said:

@vyas said: Confirming my Singapore Service is down.

What do you have there?

My SG VPS is still up.

VPS 2G plan

Was up till yesterday ran fine was connected to Gridpane, decoupled the two, did a clean Debian 10 install and now no avail.

Could be dns issue (no network), but all said and done I have already waived it goodbye

Squats are the new Push-ups

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@debaser said:

@fluttershy said:

@havoc said:
    Ooff...both my annual Nexus bills recently went through. Around 100 bucks. Think they're in Amsterdam

@rcy026 said: . But I would have said the same about Nexusbytes if you asked me a year ago, so take it for what it is.

If true I reckon that's gonna be my last LES/T class VPS due to the above problem. Just not worth the headache

Chargeback?

On what basis?

@Ympker said:
    To be fair, NB has been MIA for over a year now, so that would probably make me at least cancel automatic renewals.

I cancelled them in February last year, just because there was no sign of life whatsoever. It also helped me in making the decision to not go for LE providers going forward. Still have a small storage box at Hoathatch and a cheap VM at Virmach (not companies I don’t see failing, but you’ll never know) and I think aim going to phase those out too. It just too risky.

I think it really comes down to the use-case and expectations. I am happily hosting my business website on @MikePT since I know, at any time, I can just pull a backup and migrate to another hosts with 3 clicks of AIO WP Migration/Updraft. With VPS/Servers, it's probably a bit more difficult, I can imagine. In that case, I have still been happy with LE providers but also don't run any mission-critical on there. Usually, I use LE providers for smth like private vpn, gameservers, testing some stuff, running yabs or idling.
    I currently love my nat vps resource pool at @natvps_uk which allows me to spin up a few instances and play around a bit, run Wireguard or backup some stuff :)

I get what you are trying to say, though. With LE hosts there's always the risk that within 3-5 years, you'll have to find out if your backups really work. For my use cases, I wouldn't go as far as saying I won't order from LE hosts anymore. I love the community and the spirit of people here and there are some great hosts over here and at the other place. It is what it is, though.

@havoc said:

@fluttershy said:
    Chargeback?

@Ympker said: NB has been MIA for over a year now, so that would probably make me at least cancel automatic renewals.

Yeah been meaning to but forgot cause work has been wild.

Tough luck. All best, mate!

• @Francisco said:

@debaser said:

@shallow said:

As for buyshared, we haven’t had stock for over 2 years now. Sometime this year we will spin off the company into namecrane, our absolutely not vaporware domain registrar.

Francisco

You might want to renew that domain, so I can continue to visit your holding page every few months...

• @Ympker said:
    I get what you are trying to say, though. With LE hosts there's always the risk that within 3-5 years, you'll have to find out if your backups really work. For my use cases, I wouldn't go as far as saying I won't order from LE hosts anymore. I love the community and the spirit of people here and there are some great hosts over here and at the other place. It is what it is, though.

You're also not wrong, but this is more a "fool me once: shame on you, fool me twice: shame on me" type of situation. Hostdoc collapsing was my first deadpool and luckily my backup worked and with Jay going AWOL I knew there was going to be trouble there sooner or later, so I took my stuff elsewhere.

Now, I have three kinds of boxes. Experimental stuff, storage and 'set and forget' stuff, the latter being hosted projects (mostly longer term) that I don't want to think about every other day. I don't want to log in here and discover that I have to make a new backup, lose money and look for a new place for those.

None of my projects are commercial, I don't make money with it. And as time is also money I choose to rule out insecurity about longevity of the provider. Risks are never 0, but if you go with providers like Hetzner they're very small. Most of this stuff is currently hosted at PHP-Friends by the way.

For my experimental stuff (usually networking) I do sometimes use LE-providers. A NAT box or something I just happen to have a yearly for. For these it's not as problematic when I lose files as they're mostly just used for a month.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • edited January 2023

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on MyW's 25GB Reseller plan deal. Got the backup uploaded to there just now and updated my nameservers... so we're good, hopefully.

Thanked by (1)bdl

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

edited January 2023

@debaser said:

@Ympker said:

You're also not wrong, but this is more a "fool me once: shame on you, fool me twice: shame on me" type of situation. Hostdoc collapsing was my first deadpool and luckily my backup worked and with Jay going AWOL I knew there was going to be trouble there sooner or later, so I took my stuff elsewhere.

Now, I have three kinds of boxes. Experimental stuff, storage and 'set and forget' stuff, the latter being hosted projects (mostly longer term) that I don't want to think about every other day. I don't want to log in here and discover that I have to make a new backup, lose money and look for a new place for those.

None of my projects are commercial, I don't make money with it. And as time is also money I choose to rule out insecurity about longevity of the provider. Risks are never 0, but if you go with providers like Hetzner they're very small. Most of this stuff is currently hosted at PHP-Friends by the way.

For my experimental stuff (usually networking) I do sometimes use LE-providers. A NAT box or something I just happen to have a yearly for. For these it's not as problematic when I lose files as they're mostly just used for a month.

Totally get you, mate. It can become tiring, especially if your setup is not easy to migrate or just takes a whole lot of time to setup again. Even if it's "just for a hobby project". I once had to set up a gameserver again and it was a pita since I didn't have any backups.
    Ofc, there's still incidents like OVH fire, but definitely more peace of mind with the "big guys".
    That said, PHP-Friends are still a small to mid sized business. While they are solid, it's a compromise between supporting big players as in GoDaddy/DO, or some business like PHPFriends.

Aye, I still remember the Hostdoc disaster.

Thanked by (1)fluttershy
  • @Ympker said: That said, PHP-Friends are still a small to mid sized business. While they are solid, it's a compromise between supporting big players as in GoDaddy/DO, or some business like PHPFriends.

Yeah, but I'd rather support bigger players and not the faceless corporates. I see PHP-Friends as a good alternative for that. At least it's established and they have a big enough client base to not fail anytime more than 3 people cancel simultaneously. Also: it's not a one-man show.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @debaser said:

@Ympker said: That said, PHP-Friends are still a small to mid sized business. While they are solid, it's a compromise between supporting big players as in GoDaddy/DO, or some business like PHPFriends.

Yeah, but I'd rather support bigger players and not the faceless corporates. I see PHP-Friends as a good alternative for that. At least it's established and they have a big enough client base to not fail anytime more than 3 people cancel simultaneously. Also: it's not a one-man show.

Nothing wrong with a one man show. Many of the "big boy" providers started that way and grew. Just need to scale out as you go and you should be fine.

This could happen to half the hosts in this part of industry. I am sad to see it happen with Jay, but for all we know he is the hospital on a ventilator fighting for life. I do know this is totally out of character for him and I hope he is doing well.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• edited January 2023

@deank said:
    I hate (Yeah, right) to be a dick, but this is the circle of life within Low end world, ain't it?
    I specifically avoid any hosts on LET and LES for this reason.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

The End is Nigh

Where did ya get the troll tag btw?

smartass shitposting satirist

• @Francisco said:

@debaser said:

@shallow said:

Francisco

like the totally on-topic and active NC channel in your discord :-)

(/s) good luck with the migration or name change!

• @CamoYoshi said:
    Went ahead and pulled the trigger on MyW's 25GB Reseller plan deal. Got the backup uploaded to there just now and updated my nameservers... so we're good, hopefully.

This is rather a step back, he is the next candidate for a deadpool, his Ponzi scheme with Lifetime will fall sideways sooner or later

Thanked by (2)nullroute Marx
  • @Mulder said:

@CamoYoshi said:

This is rather a step back, he is the next candidate for a deadpool, his Ponzi scheme with Lifetime will fall sideways sooner or later

I like Mike but agreed, all that lifetime stuff just screams ponzi to me. I'd be a lot more comfy on a monthly/yearly plan, but I guess worst case it's pretty easy to move shared hosting stuff around. It's not like a full server, just site files.

• Thanked by (2)shallow fluttershy
  • MS said:

Saved by the Sisters of Mercy.

• @shallow said:

MS said:

Saved by the Sisters of Mercy.

Expansion of the Involucration, Inc.

• How are you... online?

• Will some one please link me to the thread where hostsolutions imploded? I was not around then and need to see the shit show for myself.

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @AuroraZero said:
    Will some one please link me to the thread where hostsolutions imploded? I was not around then and need to see the shit show for myself.

Enjoy. Make sure you have lots of popcorn, you're going to need it.

Thanked by (1)tarasis

How are you... online?