Warning: NexusBytes Deadpool Imminent, MOVE YOUR DATA

18910111214»

Comments

• @terrorgen said:
    I guess PayPal charge backs are now fair game for those with servers that went offline.

LOOL
    I was thinking that days ago because my annual plan ends in July, but I don't know... PayPal is already very rude with customers from my country, so it's not crazy that they think I'm the scammer :p

Ruby, JS Programmer and Linux user

• rootroot OG
    edited February 2023

@jam said:

@terrorgen said:
    I guess PayPal charge backs are now fair game for those with servers that went offline.

LOOL
    I was thinking that days ago because my annual plan ends in July, but I don't know... PayPal is already very rude with customers from my country, so it's not crazy that they think I'm the scammer :p

Paypal is a business; it's main goal is in it's own profits and it's own protection. Paypal does not care about your race or your skin colour. Stop making this look like racism in order to victimise yourself with the purpose of looking somewhat important. If you feel like blaming someone, blame the provider for failing to honour your contract, but not a payment processor.

If your annual plan ends in July, this means you have passed the 180 days mark as per Paypal terms for disputes. Tough luck on anybody in this position (including me). May NexusBytes enjoy the money they took.

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@jam said:

@terrorgen said:

LOOL

Paypal is a business; it's main goal is in it's own profits and it's own protection. Paypal does not care about your race or your skin colour. Stop making this look like racism in order to victimise yourself with the purpose of looking somewhat important. If you feel like blaming someone, blame the provider for failing to honour your contract, but not a payment processor.

If your annual plan ends in July, this means you have passed the 180 days mark as per Paypal terms for disputes. Tough luck on anybody in this position (including me). May NexusBytes enjoy the money they took.

C'mon now ... calm down. He never said anything about his skin color. He said he lives in a region with a high risk factor so they get higher scrutiny when they charge back.

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

@MichaelCee did you get back smallweb domain

• @skorous said:

@root said:

@jam said:

@terrorgen said:

LOOL

C'mon now ... calm down. He never said anything about his skin color. He said he lives in a region with a high risk factor so they get higher scrutiny when they charge back.

Can't blame him. There are people from a certain country who goes to victim mode really quickly.

Thanked by (1)vyas

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @terrorgen said:

@skorous said:

@root said:

@jam said:

@terrorgen said:

LOOL

Can't blame him. There are people from a certain country who goes to victim mode really quickly.

Oh no doubt ... but I'm starting to see similarly people jump to attack mode really quickly too. Both behaviors are "wrong"(*1).

*1 - Exclusively my opinion and only relevant to this location. Other Green Forums need not apply.

• rootroot OG
    edited February 2023

@skorous said:
    Oh no doubt ... but I'm starting to see similarly people jump to attack mode really quickly too. Both behaviors are "wrong".

Attack mode is good when people complain without grounds (180+ days passed = no refund as per PayPal terms).

However, you might have forgotten this is a thread where everything tends to go into attack mode. A provider has deadpooled, left customers hanging without any announcements, without any support, and adopted the tactic of total silence. With all this deadpool in effect, owner still has fans though, making the whole mess even more interesting as a popcorn drama (*1).

*1 - This is my opinion, because I like dramas too, other green forums included.

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@skorous said:
    Oh no doubt ... but I'm starting to see similarly people jump to attack mode really quickly too. Both behaviors are "wrong".

Attack mode is good when people complain without grounds (180+ days passed = no refund as per PayPal terms).

However, you might have forgotten this is a thread where everything tends to go into attack mode. A provider has deadpooled, left customers hanging without any announcements, without any support, and adopted the tactic of total silence. With all this deadpool in effect, owner still has fans though, making the whole mess even more interesting as a popcorn drama (*1).

@FrankZ @Mason Can we please get this officially documented as an exception to the "Don't be a dick" rule? I wasn't aware that a provider deadpooling is a free pass and I'm a bit miffed that I've missed so many opportunities.

I

• @skorous said:

@root said:

@skorous said:

I wasn't aware that a provider deadpooling is a free pass and I'm a bit miffed that I've missed so many opportunities.

Well... @seriesn is not banned or retired. Maybe such fact could be considered as an answer to your concern.

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@skorous said:

@root said:

@skorous said:

I wasn't aware that a provider deadpooling is a free pass and I'm a bit miffed that I've missed so many opportunities.

Well... @seriesn is not banned or retired. Maybe such fact could be considered as an answer to your concern.

Not sure how that's relevant. I'm asking for an exception to the "Don't be a Dick" rule. Something like, "Anytime a provider deadpools there is a mourning period of [x] days where people are free to be asshats to each other no questions asked." I've apparently been misunderstanding the rule for the past several years.

Perhaps you can help. Do we start from the last date they make an appearance? The first server going offline? The last? This is going to be a nightmare to document but it's obviously important work. We need to get this right.

• rootroot OG
    edited February 2023

@skorous said:

@root said:

@skorous said:

@root said:

@skorous said:

Not sure how that's relevant. I'm asking for an exception to the "Don't be a Dick" rule. Something like, "Anytime a provider deadpools there is a mourning period of [x] days where people are free to be asshats to each other no questions asked." I've apparently been misunderstanding the rule for the past several years.

Perhaps you can help. Do we start from the last date they make an appearance? The first server going offline? The last? This is going to be a nightmare to document but it's obviously important work. We need to get this right.

It is a nightmare indeed, especially when there are fans involved trying to protect the provider who deadpooled in the first place. There is a reason why it is called popcorn drama, and wanting exceptions to rules which already have exceptions (provider unbanned) only contributes by adding more salt to that drama created in the first place.

Derailing the discussion into attacks between members (when actually there are misunderstood PayPal terms), only adds some spice to the whole popcorn. But hey! A fan has to do what a fan has to do, right?

How are you... online?

• @root said:

@skorous said:

@root said:

@skorous said:

@root said:

@skorous said:

It is a nightmare indeed, especially when there are fans involved trying to protect the provider who deadpooled in the first place. There is a reason why it is called popcorn drama, and wanting exceptions to rules which already have exceptions (provider unbanned) only contributes by adding more salt to that drama created in the first place.

I'm confused are you now saying @seriesn not being banned is the reason you are acting this way? I thought it was because he deadpooled on you ( and presumably lost some money ). Perhaps I misunderstood that too. Man, I'm having a really bad time of things lately!

Derailing the discussion into attacks between members (when actually there are misunderstood PayPal terms), only adds some spice to the whole popcorn. But hey! A fan has to do what a fan has to do, right?

You're going to have to be a little more direct. As I said earlier, I'm not at the top of my game today. Am I the fan of NB? How does my calling out your bad behavior equate me to a fan of theirs? I'm mainly confused because I've never had any service with them and can't think of any direct communication between us at all. Yet again you're right about the derailing though as well. We should split this off into a separate thread. Thoughts on a thread title? I was thinking, "The When's, Why's, and Where's Bad Behavior is Acceptable". That way it can be a living reference for my proposed rule change.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@root said: Well... @seriesn is not banned or retired. Maybe such fact could be considered as an answer to your concern.

Not banned or retired because if he did want to put in an appearance and comment he could not if he was banned or retired.
    Of course he no longer has a provider tag or is on the LES provider list. I don't think anyone knows what all the circumstances are concerning what has happened here yet. We may never know.

Let me catch up before I comment further.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @FrankZ said:

@root said: Well... @seriesn is not banned or retired. Maybe such fact could be considered as an answer to your concern.

Not banned or retired because if he did want to put in an appearance and comment he could not if he was banned or retired.

I thought there was an official support form, where people can ask to be unbanned if they have something important to say.

How are you... online?

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited February 2023

@root said:

@FrankZ said:

I thought there was an official support form, where people can ask to be unbanned if they have something important to say.

Yes, there is a ban appeal option in the help desk, but what would be your reasoning for banning someone who is not here ?

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@skorous said: I'm asking for an exception to the "Don't be a Dick" rule. Something like, "Anytime a provider deadpools there is a mourning period of [x] days where people are free to be asshats to each other no questions asked."

EDIT: I am caught up now. The exception to the "Don't be a Dick" rule requested above is denied, but there is no rule against being an asshat. For the rest of it @MichaelCee has been in this thread, and I have not, so I don't want to step on his toes.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@Abdullah said:

No, but I need it and can’t wait for someone to try and sell it to me for $1000

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @FrankZ said:

@root said:

@FrankZ said:

Yes, there is a ban appeal option in the help desk, but what would be your reasoning for banning someone who is not here ?

Provider deadpool with ignoring customers.

How are you... online?

• @MichaelCee said:

@Abdullah said:

In your place, I might just go for "smallweb2e", which is still available. You know, "smallweb 2nd edition". :) You can thank me later :)

(Trying to get "smallweb" back would probably cost you an arm and a leg :/ )

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

@angstrom said:

@MichaelCee said:

@Abdullah said:

In your place, I might just go for "smallweb2e", which is still available. You know, "smallweb 2nd edition". :) You can thank me later :)

Unfortunately there are accounts under that domain.

• @MichaelCee said:

@angstrom said:

@MichaelCee said:

@Abdullah said:

"accounts"?

I've probably missed something :/

I was simply looking at available domain names

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• rootroot OG
    edited February 2023

@MichaelCee - why do you feel the need to take that domain? You want to see all these angry customers of NexusBytes complain to you by opening support tickets for their lost services?

Maybe the solution would be to grab that domain on a different TLD of your choice, if you like the name that much. This way you would avoid any possible connections with NexusBytes, angry customers, or bad reviews.

How are you... online?

• @MichaelCee said:

@Abdullah said:

Anyone can register this domain when it's deleted.
    If I get it, I'll be sure to post an auction, and forum rules can ensure that you get the domain for much less than $1000.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

@angstrom said:

@MichaelCee said:

@angstrom said:

@MichaelCee said:

@Abdullah said:

"accounts"?

I've probably missed something :/

I was simply looking at available domain names

Website accounts that were not part of the brand sale.

@root said:
    @MichaelCee - why do you feel the need to take that domain? You want to see all these angry customers of NexusBytes complain to you by opening support tickets for their lost services?

Maybe the solution would be to grab that domain on a different TLD of your choice, if you like the name that much. This way you would avoid any possible connections with NexusBytes, angry customers, or bad reviews.

Don’t want to relaunch it :smile: Pls see above for explanation

Thanked by (1)root
  • @skorous said:
    @FrankZ @Mason Can we please get this officially documented as an exception to the "Don't be a dick" rule?

If someone deadpools and leave their customers hanging, I would not say that calling them out for it qualifies as "being a dick".
    Whether or not defending such a move would qualify as "being a dick by association" is open for discussion.

But in both cases it is possible to avoid being a dick by simply using somewhat civilized language and sticking to facts, so the rule as it stands is not that bad.

Thanked by (1)wankel
  • Damn, I got triggered by a Paypal cancellation of my payment and now have missed out on all the 'fun'.

Worst thing is: I can't even remember what I had running with him ;-(

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero