Comments

• @Flying_Chinaman said:

@Fritz said:

@Flying_Chinaman said:

@deank said:
    It all means the end is nigh.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

(Enhance chanting)

Make me wonder, does it sound the same like Uncle Roger?

Mix of Warhammer orcs and ratmen

So you are saying just like Uncle Roger

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @root said: Everything has dedicated machines behind it. It is why datacenters were created in the first place: to hold servers. Usually businesses deadpool not because of physics and mechanics related to dedicated servers, but because of bad decisions and greed (sometimes from owners, sometimes from datacenters, sometimes from politicians with their electricity prices).

Yes.

@root said: Regarding the word "dude", did you just assume and generalise the gender of all owners which have business related to hosting? How dare you?!

There are no women on the internet, unless proven otherwise. Women usually have better things to do in life rather than hang around on hosting forums and BBS boards.

• @deank said:

@Janevski said:
    Literally anything can happen.

Will happen. That is the law of low end.

It's a state machine driven by entropy.
    If it's up, it shall fall down.
    If it's running, it shall stop.
    If it is working, it shall break.
    If it's stong, it shall crack.
    If it is draining, it shall clog.

Through life, we fight entropy every moment of our existence, just so we prolong it, as much as possible. The universe or as people call it "God" wants to take it's stuff back. But not today.

• Seriously. If you haven't ordered your takeaway by now, you are going to regret it. You were warned.

• @shallow said:
    Seriously. If you haven't ordered your takeaway by now, you are going to regret it. You were warned.

Shit man no one delivers to the cave anymore. There is not even a restaurant open past 3bpm here. Just a shitty burnt pizza joint.

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @AuroraZero said:

@Flying_Chinaman said:

@Fritz said:

@Flying_Chinaman said:

@deank said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

(Enhance chanting)

HIYAAHHH.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• @CamoYoshi said:

@AuroraZero said:

@Flying_Chinaman said:

@Fritz said:

@Flying_Chinaman said:

@deank said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

(Enhance chanting)

HIYAAHHH.

This uncle Roger no like. Too dirty! Hiyaaah

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• NB is in it's death throes right now - move/backup your data if you haven't already!!

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • edited January 2023

Bumping this thread to say that the NB deadpool appears to be more imminent than ever, so you should get off the ship while you still can ...

The generalization seems to be that if a location is still paid for, then it's still up, but the clock is ticking ...

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• RIP Bob.

• How was your pizza and or Chinese food?
    Oh you didn't order any?
    Fool.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • Bye Bye Bob

Squats are the new Push-ups

• I'm out of the loop.

Wasn't @seriesn active on here rather than OGF and was pretty responsive with customer requests?

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@root said: hing has dedicated machines behind it. It is why d

@angstrom said:
    Bumping this thread to say that the NB deadpool appears to be more imminent than ever, so you should get off the ship while you still can ...

The generalization seems to be that if a location is still paid for, then it's still up, but the clock is ticking ...

Anybody know till when amsterdam is paid by chance?

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    I'm out of the loop.

Wasn't @seriesn active on here rather than OGF and was pretty responsive with customer requests?

No -- you're thinking of @VirMach

Thanked by (2)HalfEatenPie krlynze

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• I'am bafled about how people reacts. Data is going down the drain, money lost and everyone discussing about owners mental health and "I hope he is okey". So exit scamming is tolerated if you are "nice person".

Thanked by (3)Mulder Marx adly
  • @legendary said:
    I'am bafled about how people reacts. Data is going down the drain, money lost and everyone discussing about owners mental health and "I hope he is okey". So exit scamming is tolerated if you are "nice person".

Note to self: start a host, be nice, and no one will be mad when I deadpool, take the money, and run. Seems foolproof to me.

• edited January 2023

@angstrom said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    I'm out of the loop.

No -- you're thinking of @VirMach

You right playa. Sheeet. All da same.

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • @fluttershy said:

@legendary said:
    I'am bafled about how people reacts. Data is going down the drain, money lost and everyone discussing about owners mental health and "I hope he is okey". So exit scamming is tolerated if you are "nice person".

Note to self: start a host, be nice, and no one will be mad when I deadpool, take the money, and run. Seems foolproof to me.

If only it were so straightforward

I suspect that the background story (as far as we can guess, a story involving mental illness) is anything but "take the money and run"

Not to mention that at this point, there's probably very little money left (hence the imminent deadpool)

• @angstrom said:

@fluttershy said:

@legendary said:

I suspect that the background story (as far as we can guess, a story involving mental illness) is anything but "take the money and run"

Not to mention that at this point, there's probably very little money left (hence the imminent deadpool)

People don't want to come to the realization (myself included...) that, at the very least, Jay didn't do his due diligence in appointing someone to run the business in his stead. As a business owner it is your responsibility to appoint someone to cover for you if you get hit by a bus and die to continue the business as an obligation to your customers.

Given his track record and behavior from what I know based on his conduct here, this is unusual for him... that is why I and some others feel sympathy. However the bottom line is that we are all still being hung out to dry regardless.

• @CamoYoshi said:

@angstrom said:

@fluttershy said:

@legendary said:

People don't want to come to the realization (myself included...) that, at the very least, Jay didn't do his due diligence in appointing someone to run the business in his stead. As a business owner it is your responsibility to appoint someone to cover for you if you get hit by a bus and die to continue the business as an obligation to your customers.

Given his track record and behavior from what I know based on his conduct here, this is unusual for him... that is why I and some others feel sympathy. However the bottom line is that we are all still being hung out to dry regardless.

I definitely agree with what you say

I merely meant that it's not a classic "take the money and run" scam

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited January 2023

@CamoYoshi said:

@angstrom said:

@fluttershy said:

@legendary said:

I agree with this, but at the moment it would make me a hypocrite to call him out in that as I myself don’t have an emergency plan set up yet.

So at the moment my concerns are Jay’s health and safety, and the customers involved right now, not in any particular order.

Thanked by (2)angstrom CamoYoshi
  • @havoc said:

@root said: hing has dedicated machines behind it. It is why d

@angstrom said:

Anybody know till when amsterdam is paid by chance?

No, but the end user panel doesn't seem to be working (no VNC etc.) now.

• @MichaelCee said:

@CamoYoshi said:

@angstrom said:

@fluttershy said:

@legendary said:

I agree with this, but at the moment it would make me a hypocrite to call him out in that as I myself don’t have an emergency plan set up yet.

So at the moment my concerns are Jay’s health and safety, and the customers involved right now, not in any particular order.

Perhaps this is a good opportunity to make a business continuity plan then ;)

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee adly

• Going to say something unpopular here. What gets me is every one is now concered as to why there was no one in place to run it if something happened like it is a fortune 500 company.

News for you all that little store you visit daily that is run by the old couple bet when they pass it goes away. This is no different really even if you pass it on it is up to the next people of it endures.

People would have been pissed probably if he did pass it on because it is not the same when seriesn ran it.

Face it full in people shit happens in this industry and there is not a thing that can be done about it. Just protect yourself for the worse so when it happens, and it will again, you minimize the damage it does to you. That is all you can do.

Now as @Flying_Chinaman told me earlier I shall go back to my cave.

Thanked by (4)bdl terrorgen ialexpw Mason

• bdlbdl OG
    edited January 2023

@AuroraZero said:

Face it full in people shit happens in this industry and there is not a thing that can be done about it. Just protect yourself for the worse so when it happens, and it will again, you minimize the damage it does to you. That is all you can do.

Exactly - backups, monitoring and DR/business continuity planning FTW. There's no excuse for not doing so now considering the amount of quality open source/free tools and services out there to do this stuff.

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero
  • edited January 2023

@AuroraZero said:
    People would have been pissed probably if he did pass it on because it is not the same when seriesn ran it.

Pick your favorite alternate universe.
    (These are sorted alphabetically.)

@Advin acquires NexusBytes:

• You must complete a round of chess to place an order.
    • Network is tunneled to a neighboring country, with reduced MTU.

@Calin acquires NexusBytes:

• Either IPv4 or IPv6 is not working.
    • Downtime is more than uptime, due to DDoS.
    • Price is reduced 10x.

@DataIdeas acquires NexusBytes:

• All services are moved to Texas.
    • Prices are increased 2x.

@Francisco acquires NexusBytes:

• Prices stay the same, but service transfer is disabled.
    • You can have routed /48 and BGP session.
    • All your neighbors are running Tor exits, so that the subnet gets reCAPTCHA every 5 minutes.

@MannDude acquires NexusBytes:

• You can order with VPN and pay with crypto.
    • Prices are increased 3x.

@Not_Oles acquires NexusBytes:

• All services are free, except Dallas location that costs $20.23 per month.
    • Support is via forum thread only.
    • Half of the features are not working.

@VirMach acquires NexusBytes:

• Prices stay the same, and there are flash sales every season.
    • Japan and Singapore have setup fees.
    • Orders take a month to activate.
    • Tickets are merged and then unanswered.

@yoursunny acquires NexusBytes:

• All IPv4 ranges are revoked.
    • You can have IPv6 tunneled to Ontario and IPv9 tunneled to Antarctica.
    • Payment must be push-ups.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:

@AuroraZero said:

Pick you favorite alternate universe.

@Advin acquires NexusBytes:

• You must win a round of chess to place an order.
    • Network is tunneled to a neighboring country.

@Calin acquires NexusBytes:

• Either IPv4 or IPv6 is not working.
    • Downtime is more than uptime, due to DDoS.
    • Price is reduced 10x.

@DataIdeas acquires NexusBytes:

• All services are moved to Texas.
    • Prices are increased 2x.

@Francisco acquires NexusBytes:

• Prices stay the same, but service transfer is disabled.
    • You can have routed /48 and BGP session.
    • All your neighbors are running Tor exits, so that the subnet gets reCAPTCHA every 5 minutes.

@MannDude acquires NexusBytes:

• You can order with VPN and pay with crypto.
    • Prices are increased 3x.

@Not_Oles acquires NexusBytes:

• All services are free, except Dallas location that costs $20.23 per month.
    • Support is via forum thread only.
    • Half of the features are not working.

@VirMach acquires NexusBytes:

• Prices stay the same, and there are flash sales every season.
    • Japan and Singapore have setup fees.
    • Orders take a month to activate.
    • Tickets are merged and then unanswered.

@yoursunny acquires NexusBytes:

• All IPv4 ranges are revoked.
    • You can have IPv6 tunneled to Ontario and IPv9 tunneled to Antarctica.
    • Payment must be push-ups.

Forgot one I aquire NexusBytes move the infrastructure to my cave on a 56k modem. Excellent uptime and support, net is slower then a dog shitting in the winter

Thanked by (2)yoursunny Not_Oles

• @legendary said:

Unfortunately, thats how most people on L#T and L#S think.

If the provider down, the customer will be the one who blamed.

• Posted allready on OGF, the domain smallweb.net expires on 6th february 2023.

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint CamoYoshi