[2022] ★ VirMach ★ RYZEN ★ NVMe ★★ The Epic Sales Offer Thread ★★

Comments

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider
    edited September 2022

Okay nice another guy didn't reply and ignored a powerdown and he's using it for his peer-to-peer Hentai content delivery network. Definitely an interesting project, they basically built their own BitTorrent for Hentai. Oh god they even have a points system where you can earn Hentai tokens or whatever it's called by thrashing I/O.

Anyway I think that earns our first suspension on TYOC002S (not because I'm anti-henai, it's just abusive I/O 24x7.)

(edit) Once again I want to just mention that I didn't access the customer's service it's just a public site on 443.

• All is well with the new AMS IP here as well, though the SolusVM reconfigure networking button broke the network connection because it set a nonexistent network interface name. Debian 11 enumerated the interface as ens3, SolusVM rewrote /etc/network/interfaces as eth0 and then gave a message that the reconfiguration was successful. Easy fix but posting here as a heads-up.

For SMTP, the new IP was blacklisted on https://check.spamhaus.org but their submission tool automatically delisted it without having to wait for human review.

@VirMach - are the new IP address blocks going to get updated in the various geolocation databases? For example Maxmind and IP2location are showing San Mateo, California for the AMS IP. I figure it'll take a few weeks for those to update but checking to see if it's a process that's already been kicked off for the entire address blocks or if users need to submit forms to the different providers manually for each IP address.

Overall smooth process, thanks!

edited September 2022

@taligentx said: @VirMach - are the new IP address blocks going to get updated in the various geolocation databases?

Yes. It hasn't been kicked off yet we just got them today, we'll start the process after we're done by Friday-ish. And we'll also clean up major blacklistings.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@VirMach said:

@foitin said:

@VirMach said:

But short answer: no, not true. Currently undetermined what we'll do.

Lmao. Don't you think it's a genius idea that MJJs come up in your stead?
    Adding few bucks a month and you get all the Tokyo illegal immigrants, abusers etc. moving their asses out on their own. ;)
    Probably more efficient of a deterrent than previous options listed.

Okay I started hearing back from people on storage. I'll be a little vague to maintain privacy.

One guy brought up how the server has gone down (he was one of the people that caused it to lock up once or twice, well one of the main pieces to it happening) in the ticket as if that changes anything in his favor, but he's essentially using it to do video processing. I explained to him that he should consider not using HDD storage for that, so we'll see if he agrees and expands his setup to maybe include an NVMe server to actually do the processing before he stores the large video files on the storage server.

Second guy said he uploads files at one location and downloads files at a second location. That's an interesting way to describe a Plex server that has 100-150 different people connected to it right now. Not that I care, it just means we can't really help him reduce the usage so I hope he's got it figured out.

Third guy said he's using it as a backup server with a script that's not optimized. Strange, he's doing a lot more reads than writes. The said script must be called "qBittorent." But again I hope he figures out how to fix his settings. I would have loved to help him out to reduce the usage but he's not interested either.

By the way I want to re-iterate that I am not in any way accessing the customer's service, just basic tools that show general outputs. Like if an IP is using port 80 then you know they're running a webserver, etc.

Jesus, these could be semi-OK if people just didn't use it as a dedicated CDN, video processing, and streaming site. Even the Plex guy would probably be fine if he wasn't literally mass file sharing on Plex. I guess no one's ever heard of use cases or efficiency.

i heard Plex. oh my waiting for next deal

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Does SolusVM not allow you to limit IOPS/CPU per VM?

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

edited September 2022

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Does SolusVM not allow you to limit IOPS/CPU per VM?

It does and I was going to consider using it but it's going to pretty much be worthless in most cases since it depends on a lot of other factors. I/O is not something you can really limit properly with just the 3 parameters it allows.

We'd essentially have to put it crazy low and I also haven't researched how it does it, potential bugs, and so on. We don't really mind high reads and writes as long as it's not in tiny 4KB random reads and such. I'll definitely do it on one that seems "appropriate."

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint skorous
  • fanfan
    edited September 2022

@VirMach said: peer-to-peer Hentai content delivery network

Is it Hentai@home? Per my experience, H@H runs fine on a slow HDD with 500Gb of cached content.

Forgot that storage is indeed running on HDD, then H@H should be a no no as the cache contains TONs of small files.

edited September 2022

@fan said:

@VirMach said: peer-to-peer Hentai content delivery network

Is it Hentai@home? Per my experience, H@H runs fine on a slow HDD with 500Gb of cached content.

Either he was running multiple instances, changing the settings to do more/earn more, or running something alongside it. How much bandwidth does your 500GB setup use? Just so I can evaluate how many multiples of your 500GB. Are you doing the CDN opt-in? Sorry if I sound dumb and it works a different way, I only glanced at it to see if we could find a solution with the customer first but all I saw was minimum I/O requirements, bonus points for it to run 24x7, and when the customer's also ignoring our first message and powerdown and 24x7 at 20-30% utilization rate, then it's a suspension. Not saying he can't appeal.

By the way what's your average transfer size on the disk?

@fan said: H@H should be a no no as the cache contains TONs of small files.

Yeah that's what it looks like on my end looking at the reports.

(edit) Wait so does it work with a big disk and then a smaller disk as cache? Because that would make sense and how people should be setting these up. It's like if you're going to mine Chia (as a bad analogy) it could be fine as long as you're not also doing the I/O intensive portion on the HDD as well.

• edited September 2022

@VirMach

So to summarize everything,

1. Will you change my IP again in the future?
      I hate to pay for new license for each new IP changes (I know this is not your problem but will be very happy if the IP last like forever?).

2. Any chance to open Tokyo location for an "honest" and "trustworthy" user like me? hehe.

@Fritz said: Will you change my IP again in the future?

I hate to pay for new license for each new IP changes (I know this is not your problem but will be very happy if the IP last forever?).

If it was up to us, we'd never change it. I was going to actually ask people what they thought about it and realized it would probably be split 50/50 and just make people speculate things but I'll basically do a short version of the post I never made: would people prefer to [a] all keep their IPs and essentially we say yes to anything the IP leasers want to be able to keep it forever which could mean massive price hikes, etc. [b] change IPs and always maintain the same prices and polices, or [c] somewhere in between where whoever wants to keep it has to essentially pay for the price hike plus for everyone else leaving.

Then I realized all the options don't really make sense and a human needs to actually evaluate the situation like we did this time.

@Fritz said:
    2. Any chance to open Tokyo location for an "honest" and "trustworthy" user like me? hehe.

If you want to order a plan at current MSRP then I might be able to squeeze you in if you really want it that bad. You'd order the service, look at current price hike for Tokyo, and make a ticket to move there and I'd move you there as soon as possible but your pricing would be "reset" to what the system calculates for Tokyo.

• edited September 2022

Hentai guy needs to redesign their app.
    The push-ups video server has millions of 8KB small objects, yet I received zero suspension from any provider.

• Content objects being served are read from LevelDB on NVMe.
    • Recently or frequently used objects are cached in RAM.
    • HDD is only for backup copies.
    • CPU usage is confined to just below provider's persistent usage allowance, although it's usually much lower than that.
    • Encoding occurs on a dedicated server with GPU.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @VirMach

I'll wait then. lol.

My LAX IP has changed just 5 minutes ago.
    Will wait for GeoIP DB update.

The new IP is on blacklist (Spamhaus ZEN) though, old IP is cleaner.

ISP : Alibaba Inc.

So far everything works as intended.

• @VirMach said: Wait so does it work with a big disk and then a smaller disk as cache? Because that would make sense and how people should be setting these up. It's like if you're going to mine Chia (as a bad analogy) it could be fine as long as you're not also doing the I/O intensive portion on the HDD as well.

Hentai@home is basically peer-to-peer CDN for e-hentai.org, for the reward token hath. Here's my stats:

546 GB 1,660,272 Files, 3,481 Folders

Bandwidth should be like 100gb/month and disk usage is actually not that much, but the random reading of small files burns the Hitachi HDD on my Kimsufi server pretty hard, making it unable to take other read/write requests. I tried to load that cache on an nvme SSD server and it won't even reach 1% of disk speed, so SSD cache should be very helpful for that kind of usage.

• Simple solution: ban H@H for non hybrid VPS. :| Keep the node workable for others.

Thanked by (3)atomi fan lemoncube

• edited September 2022

@VirMach said:
    Okay nice another guy didn't reply and ignored a powerdown and he's using it for his peer-to-peer Hentai content delivery network. Definitely an interesting project, they basically built their own BitTorrent for Hentai. Oh god they even have a points system where you can earn Hentai tokens or whatever it's called by thrashing I/O.

Anyway I think that earns our first suspension on TYOC002S (not because I'm anti-henai, it's just abusive I/O 24x7.)

(edit) Once again I want to just mention that I didn't access the customer's service it's just a public site on 443.

I'm shocked that you allow copyright stuffs from Japan hosted on domestic severs. real bold move
    Even doujinshi (fanmade) adult manga/douga is the object of investigation (CP regulation and copyright infringements)
    Someone reports to the police and your upstream will cut your connection even your contract.
    one keyword for you: manga-mura (漫画村) which I believe is not even 100% hentai

If only I knew their sites and plex server :) hosting these here? real audacious!
    Well. It's just that I'm on that server as well and the collateral damage is not what I expected.

You're going to let loose the first three culprits? Sounds like instaban to me.

edit: Just observed CPU steal for a while and it's not any better BTW.

• edited September 2022

just curious, why the new IP has higher ping than the old one @virmach?

ping from SG

• edited September 2022

^ Approx. 7% difference. :s Mein Gott!
    Try in another week, or so.

@foitin said: I'm shocked that you allow copyright stuffs from Japan hosted on domestic severs. real bold move

Literally not what was stated at all.

@foitin said: Someone reports to the police and your upstream will cut your connection even your contract.

That's not how legal requests work either.

@foitin said: edit: Just observed CPU steal for a while and it's not any better BTW.

Expected. Read my previous message where I said whatever I said. I'd paraphrase it for you but if you took what I said earlier the way you did it's better you just reference the original message.

@netrix said: just curious, why the new IP has higher ping than the old one @virmach?

Short oversimplified version without checking anything? That'd be difficult and it's still just be a guess. I have a few things in mind it could be especially since it was just recently announced.

• imokimok OG
    edited September 2022

Dedi's gone :(

Just when I found something useful for it :p

I have some ideas for TYOC002S and getting the spikes down but none of them involve suspending abusers. There's some configuration modifications that can be made after I study the traffic patterns further and potential hardware changes which would not happen any time soon (and I'm not sure of a good way to implement it with SolusVM.)

@imok said:

The new ones or old ones?

• @VirMach said:

@imok said:

The new ones or old ones?

I placed the cancellation request for the $30/y server. It has been offline for a long time since you left CC but I never opened a ticket. I knew the rules of the deal but I was little hopeful :p

• @VirMach said:
    Jesus, these could be semi-OK if people just didn't use it as a dedicated CDN, video processing, and streaming site. Even the Plex guy would probably be fine if he wasn't literally mass file sharing on Plex. I guess no one's ever heard of use cases or efficiency.

JFC people are BOLD, makes me feel like my use is a lot more reasonable now.

• edited September 2022

@VirMach said:

Expected. Read my previous message where I said whatever I said. I'd paraphrase it for you but if you took what I said earlier the way you did it's better you just reference the original message.

For them to figure out sounds like let them find ways to avoid getting caught to me.

I have some ideas for TYOC002S and getting the spikes down but none of them involve suspending abusers.

Abusers are called abusers for a reason. If you let go of these abusers, you think they'd stop voluntarily?
    and what about future storage nodes?

Just by skimming your AUP, the abusers mentioned earlier violated

i. infringes on any third party’s intellectual property or publicity/privacy rights;
    ii. violates any applicable law or regulation;
    vii. attempts to harm VirMach’s servers or other servers in any way (Attacks, CPU intensive programs for no reason, etc);
    xi. involves mass public file storage of any kind (image hosting site, video hosting site, torrents, etc);
    xii. involves high CPU/Bandwidth usage, I/O usage, and network usage, or in any other way disrupting the performance of other customers;
    xv. involves running a program/script that is designed to use maximum CPU (such as cryptocurrency miners) and not a general fixed amount equal or lesser to the processing power assigned to your service.

and

D) High Usage Policy: Any usage by Customer that disrupts the overall performance of our server(s) is not permitted. Customer agrees to operate within the VirMach usage parameters, which are as follows:

If this isn't enough for suspension I don't know what's qualified then.

It would not happen any time soon

Meanwhile there's no other solution right now.

It's extremely unfair for other legit users too, being taken advantages of.

Thanked by (1)fluttershy
  • @foitin said: It's extremely unfair for other legit users..

This. Ban 'em!

edited September 2022

@foitin said: Abusers are called abusers for a reason. If you let go of these abusers, you think they'd stop voluntarily?
    and what about future storage nodes?

Read what I previously stated. The abusers are essentially all gone right now, they're not abusing today. The few that were got powered off or suspended. Did it fix the problem? No. Because the abusers aren't the only thing causing what you describe. I've made it very clear in the past that this would most likely be the case.

So okay fine I'll paraphrase my last in-depth message: almost everyone in the Tokyo location is using the service in a manner that causes abrupt and unpredictable spikes, causing the CPU, within a split second, to range anywhere from 15% and max. There is no current solution to this right now outside of randomly suspending everyone until it goes down, because as I mentioned previously, around 90% of people are using Tokyo in this manner, in relatively tiny amounts, but when you add up all of them, it effectively creates this scenario.

If you want to be around people not doing that, request a transfer to Los Angeles or NYC. If you want to remain in Tokyo and believe we should kick off 90% of the people on there, let me know what you're doing on it and private message me your IP so I can determine if you are part of the 90% or the 10% and we'll go from there.

(edit) Getting rid of the abusers may have brought down the OVERALL usage, but it has essentially done NOTHING when it comes to the other issue. So right now it's 15% to max. Previously with abusers it may have been something like 30-40% to max. Getting rid of the abusers will only address the problem where on Saturday the node locks up.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @VirMach My VPS has been offline for a few days. :'(

• Well...

• People that cry and blame the provider every single day
    • People that DoS the provider because don't solve problems ASAP
    • People that hack the system to migrate some DC
    • People that abuse that "some" DC with all activities possible ( yeah, and for sure blame the provider again )

What is wrong with this people? seriously

• edited September 2022

^ Wow! ;)
    (Directed at Virmach's post.)

This discussion has been closed.