[2022] ★ VirMach ★ RYZEN ★ NVMe ★★ The Epic Sales Offer Thread ★★

Comments

• @NerdUno said:

Now that's got to be reassuring for your customers. Maybe your fanboys can help you rationalize these continued outages. I'm curious what your handful of supporters actually use these services for. Or perhaps they are just fake accounts to begin with.

Maybe you're a fake account.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • @skorous said:

@NerdUno said:

Now that's got to be reassuring for your customers. Maybe your fanboys can help you rationalize these continued outages. I'm curious what your handful of supporters actually use these services for. Or perhaps they are just fake accounts to begin with.

I use a handle which is easily decipherable using Google.

• @NerdUno said:

@skorous said:

@NerdUno said:

Which is exactly what a fake account would say ......

Thanked by (2)FrankZ AlwaysSkint
  • @skorous said:

@NerdUno said:

@skorous said:

@NerdUno said:

Instead of posting crap, email me if you have a problem with my account.

• @NerdUno said:

@VirMach said:

@codelock said:
    LAXA014 has been down for a week now,

It's technically not down by the way just unusable, just mentioning that as a side note.

Based on your various comments, this VirMach fanboy would say that I expect low end providers are just not for you, because eventually they will all have an issue that upset you. No judgements, we all have our own expectations, but I see that you are getting frustrated and I am concerned about your health and well being as a fellow community member.

One of my things is to build redundant fault tolerant systems, and if VMs never fail unexpectedly then I really do not have a very good test bed for that sort of thing. Previously I had to use other low end providers, but this year ....

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @NerdUno said:

@skorous said:

@NerdUno said:

@skorous said:

@NerdUno said:

Instead of posting crap, email me if you have a problem with my account.

Damn, he has an email. Watch out guys!

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • Im done :)> @tuc said:

I ahead do ip switching for my VMs. Hopefully @VirMach 's will not switch them back :)

@VirMach your coding should check if one already switches the IP then just remove the unused one, please dont update network interfaces as I saw it just makes things wrongly, resulting in VM offline.

• FYI Seattle new IPs seem to be routing now.
    (SEAZ001 is working for me at least)

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @FrankZ said: Based on your various comments, this VirMach fanboy would say that I expect low end providers are just not for you, because eventually they will all have an issue that upset you. No judgements, we all have our own expectations, but I see that you are getting frustrated and I am concerned about your health and well being as a fellow community member.

One of my things is to build redundant fault tolerant systems, and if VMs never fail unexpectedly then I really do not have a very good test bed for that sort of thing. Previously I had to use other low end providers, but this year ....

But @VirMach offer refund and he didn't take it... He could take refund and move to another provider or keep the mouth close... You cant have both :-) ... Let´s be honest, we know @NerdUno is waiting BlackFriday to buy more cheap servers from @VirMach and then complain with 50 years of experience xD

• @risturiz said:

@FrankZ said: Based on your various comments, this VirMach fanboy would say that I expect low end providers are just not for you, because eventually they will all have an issue that upset you. No judgements, we all have our own expectations, but I see that you are getting frustrated and I am concerned about your health and well being as a fellow community member.

But @VirMach offer refund and he didn't take it... He could take refund and move to another provider or keep the mouth close... You cant have both :-) ... Let´s be honest, we know @NerdUno is waiting BlackFriday to buy more cheap servers from @VirMach and then complain with 50 years of experience xD

Yes you are correct, and as @skorous has so tactfully pointed out, he is just trolling VirMach. I don't expect that anyone here is really listening to him, and some are maybe trolling him back, in their own way. Personally I think he is jbiloh from the OGF, and is just butthurt that VirMach will not answer him on the OGF anymore.

• edited September 2022

Goes off to try switching my SEA nameserver - ta, @FrankZ :)
    Drat! Forgot I'd already done that one: I hate getting old. :'(

Hey, any of you guys Close Tickets, once you've confirmed the migration is fully working? I just thought it "a nice thing to do"; keeping @VirMach 's Ticket queue that little bit shorter.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ skorous

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @risturiz I reckon that's the 1st post of yours that I've gone, "Yup, got that right". :D

Thanked by (1)risturiz

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited September 2022

@AlwaysSkint said: Hey, any of you guys Close Tickets, once you've confirmed the migration is fully working? I just thought it "a nice thing to do"; keeping @VirMach 's Ticket queue that little bit shorter.

Yes. 5 down and 4 to go.

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint skorous

• After IP change (AMSD029) my 80&443 ports became unaccessible. Should I wait or should I open a priority ticket?

• edited September 2022

@edip said: After IP change (AMSD029) my 80&443 ports became unaccessible inaccessible.

;)
    Ports are unaffected by IP change, so it's likely your webserver configuration - change IP there eg. apache.conf and/or rebuild the domains, if available. Did you change DNS? Did you look at the guidance in Virmach's status page?

• This whole IP swap has been going surprisingly smoothly, all 30 of my services are back up after very minimal work from me.

• @NerdUno said:

I have 8 VPSes with VirMach in 6 different DCs. They are all online and the worst uptime, even with all the drama, is 99.65%, https://hetrixtools.com/report/uptime/3f0a5c4ee430e097d368e3fc529fdbd5/

We've been told that problems are affecting a minority of people on a small number of servers, and based on my experience (anecdotal, of course) I would believe that. A small percentage of thousands of customers still leaves a lot of people unhappy, but characterizing everyone else as a "handful of supporters" isn't justified.

As to what they are being used for, I do use one of mine for a VoIP (asterisk) server. Others for things like web server, DNS master, Gearman job server, RSS parser, database slave, ... Naturally everything has a failover (they're in a "private cloud" with a mesh VPN), and I run everything in containers on BTRFS, so if I need to do a "migration without data" I just restore the latest BTRFS snapshot somewhere else. My actual downtime for any of these services is pretty low.

For what it is worth, I usually flag a provider who falls below 99.8% availability. Before the current drama, my VirMach VPSes were my most reliable ones outside of Azure, with literally 99.99%+ uptime, so people who have been customers for some years know that they're capable of a reliable operation. At least some of the current mess seems to be due to them being screwed over by a provider, so what I suspect you see is longer-term customers cutting them some slack while newer customers who walk into the middle of this chaos are not as tolerant.

They've definitely made some questionable decisions that haven't helped. And every customer has an individual breaking point of what they'll put up with, so I don't blame anyone that "just wants something that works now", but it is realistic to expect that the current drama has several more weeks to run before things settle down.

Apologies for the long text.

• ^ Nice one!

• @VirMach any i.p update for NYCB033X ?

• @tetech said:
    For what it is worth, I usually flag a provider who falls below 99.8% availability. Before the current drama, my VirMach VPSes were my most reliable ones outside of Azure, with literally 99.99%+ uptime, so people who have been customers for some years know that they're capable of a reliable operation. At least some of the current mess seems to be due to them being screwed over by a provider, so what I suspect you see is longer-term customers cutting them some slack while newer customers who walk into the middle of this chaos are not as tolerant.

They've definitely made some questionable decisions that haven't helped. And every customer has an individual breaking point of what they'll put up with, so I don't blame anyone that "just wants something that works now", but it is realistic to expect that the current drama has several more weeks to run before things settle down.

Apologies for the long text.

As anyone who's had to migrate bulk infrastructure knows, a lot can go wrong, especially when changing environments (new IP, new hardware, new DC, new transit). My uptime with VirMach has stayed solidly at 99.86% throughout the migration (besides my dedis), and the compute/disk io performance of the services I have with them has increased by almost 4x, completely free. The network quality and routing has also gotten a massive bump up. I'm sure people are being affected but there's also a reason why none of the people complaining have actually taken the refunds. It's a quality service that is currently having some growing pains. I'm very confident that VirMach will get these issues under control, and once they do they'll go back to being the extremely consistent and reliable provider they were pre migration, just also a hell of a lot higher quality now.

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider

Update on rest of IP swaps:

It looks like announcements were done, but only showing up in Seattle so far. Whoever was working on it at INAP apparently said end of day today and I haven't seen anyone only do a partial announcement per location in the past and not the rest but I guess we'll see.

@fluttershy said:
    This whole IP swap has been going surprisingly smoothly, all 30 of my services are back up after very minimal work from me.

Get ready for the potentially bumpy part. Although if they're taking this long to announce it and actually are doing it one by one per location, then they might take even longer to drop the announcement for the old one (which might get me yelled, but hey, nothing I can do on either end.)

@cybertech said:

@VirMach said:

@tenpera said:
    @VirMach, is NYCB033X done? can I use new i.p?

https://billing.virmach.com/serverstatus.php

Not yet.

the serverstatus page is nicely populated (albeit not in a good way) that it deserves a proper domain like virmachstatus or virmachdownup or haveyoubeenvirmached , so all the real-time datacentre grade literature can be focused on it instead of updating here that may get lost in the pages.

and then here we can get the juicy upcoming plans, expansions, deals, whatdoyouthinks that keep us hyped.

@cornercase said:

@cybertech said:
    the serverstatus page is nicely populated (albeit not in a good way) that it deserves a proper domain like virmachstatus or virmachdownup or haveyoubeenvirmached , so all the real-time datacentre grade literature can be focused on it instead of updating here that may get lost in the pages.

Agreed. A blog roll is fine for the all the gory details, but an at-a-glance dashboard with red and green lights would be great (and virmach.watch is just sitting there...)

https://status.virm.ac

This has been around for a while, I just didn't want people to micro-manage or ridicule us with all the information available on the pages so decided against putting it up officially for now. I had to re-add some ping monitors after swapping out main IP addresses so you'll see a lot of red on those for now, and then again once we swap it once more tonight. Some servers in NYC might have the old labels, and a few servers may be missing (we have it on our end, just not on this page.) And a lot of servers will seemingly have crash-worthy memory levels if you forget it also includes buffer, cache, and inactive that can get swapped.

Pretty funny though, almost everything is listed at 3% to 77% uptime right now as a result. I'm sure someone will spin that how they want and remove the context.

@FrankZ said: Personally I think he is jbiloh from the OGF

I guess that'd explain the 30 years of experience. I could see JB counting it from the time he got his first Tamagotchi

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@VirMach said:

@FrankZ said: Personally I think he is jbiloh from the OGF

I guess that'd explain the 30 years of experience. I could see JB counting it from the time he got his first Tamagotchi

That made me lol.

• edited October 2022

I didn't change anything. I reconfigured networking from control panel. I can access my Wireguard port as intended. Iptables seems ok. Connectivity of machine is ok. But ismyportopen.com shows 80 and 443 ports are inaccessible. Those ports were working 1 minute before ip change :anguished:
    May be it is time to reinstall OS just to check :lol:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    ;)
    Ports are unaffected by IP change, so it's likely your webserver configuration - change IP there eg. apache.conf and/or rebuild the domains, if available. Did you change DNS? Did you look at the guidance in Virmach's status page?

• lesuserlesuser OG
    edited October 2022

My main IP has been changed. I can see that in VirMarch billing panel, many main IP has become secondary IP, while secondary IP has become main IP. Do I still need to press Reconfigure Network button now?

By the way on VirMach's server status page, my node NYCB030 is not mentioned in any of the updates but IP has been changed so just confirming.

@lesuser said:
    By the way on VirMach's server status page, my node NYCB030 is not mentioned in any of the updates but IP has been changed so just confirming.

We haven't added it to the page yet because while it's supposed to be announced I don't see it on BGP. I'm still going through and evaluating them one by one, we might flip some back.

Thanked by (3)fluttershy lesuser tototo
  • I reinstalled Debian and now it gets like this. Is there a problem on my side? @ DALZ003

root@dallas:~# ping 8.8.4.4
    PING 8.8.4.4 (8.8.4.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 8.8.4.4: icmp_seq=1 ttl=110 time=38.0 ms
    64 bytes from 8.8.4.4: icmp_seq=2 ttl=110 time=38.1 ms
    64 bytes from 8.8.4.4: icmp_seq=3 ttl=110 time=38.1 ms
    64 bytes from 8.8.4.4: icmp_seq=4 ttl=110 time=38.1 ms
    ^C
    --- 8.8.4.4 ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3003ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 38.044/38.083/38.128/0.031 ms

root@dallas:~# ping 8.8.8.8
    PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
    From 66.205.177.125 icmp_seq=14 Packet filtered
    From 66.205.177.125 icmp_seq=29 Packet filtered
    ^C
    --- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
    36 packets transmitted, 0 received, +2 errors, 100% packet loss, time 35772ms

root@dallas:~# traceroute 8.8.4.4
    traceroute to 8.8.4.4 (8.8.4.4), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  47.87.196.1 (47.87.196.1)  1.153 ms  1.208 ms  1.227 ms
     2  185.161.69.134 (185.161.69.134)  0.277 ms  0.233 ms  0.238 ms
     3  border5.et100-0-49.dedipath-57.dal006.pnap.net (107.150.158.9)  1.418 ms  1.414 ms  1.444 ms
     4  core5.ae1-bbnet1.ext1a.dal.pnap.net (216.52.191.43)  2.222 ms core5.ae2-bbnet2.ext1a.dal.pnap.net (216.52.191.108)  2.099 ms  2.100 ms
     5  * 72.14.243.176 (72.14.243.176)  40.407 ms google-ic324803-dls-b23.ip.twelve99-cust.net (62.115.154.223)  6.069 ms
     6  209.85.173.188 (209.85.173.188)  2.647 ms  2.512 ms  2.483 ms
     7  * 108.170.240.129 (108.170.240.129)  39.592 ms  39.366 ms
     8  dns.google (8.8.4.4)  38.297 ms 209.85.243.255 (209.85.243.255)  38.694 ms dns.google (8.8.4.4)  38.070 ms

root@dallas:~# traceroute 8.8.8.8
    traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  47.87.196.1 (47.87.196.1)  1.221 ms  1.273 ms  1.322 ms
     2  185.161.69.134 (185.161.69.134)  0.288 ms  0.292 ms  0.291 ms
     3  * * *
     4  * * *
     5  * * *

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@tototo said: I reinstalled Debian and now it gets like this. Is there a problem on my side? @ DALZ003

Nope not on your end, on DALZ003 also and I am seeing similar. I expect that a little time will resolve this.

Thanked by (1)tototo

edited October 2022

(edit) moving the message to next page so it's not cut in half.

This discussion has been closed.