VirMach - Complain - Moan - Praise - Chit Chat

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited February 2023

@Jab said: Seems like NY IP migration and still not to Alibaba ranges - just to another range from the same provider (Dedipath<->Dedipath)? Does this even makes sense?
    NYCB035, NYCB036 for me.

Just as a suggestion, I would wait to switch until the gateway for your new IP is ping-able. I switched mine and then found out I could not get beyond the new gateway IP. So I had to add back the old IP as a secondary and switch back to the old gateway to get things working again. Maybe those new IPs have not hit most routing tables yet.

By the way has anybody else noted that recently purchased VMs have port 25 blocked ?

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @tetech said:

@fluttershy said:

@AuroraZero said:
    I don't understand how Dallas became what it has to be honest. Texas gets hit with a cold and snow and the State damn near blows up. People panic like it has never happened before

Makes no sense to me at all.

This happens basically every year, their grid is terrible.

That's a bit exaggerated. Some servers in my house (underground power) have uptime measured in years, and DCs are not losing power. A large part of the issue is with thick ice (not snow or cold) taking down trees.

You don't think snow and cold take down trees?

I pray you never come to Michigan in the middle of January when the snow and cold explode trees in the forest around here. Shit I had one at my old place that when it blew up it sounded like a mortar round and damned near took out my shed. Shit is not funny.

Not the just the snow and cold though it is in the middle of Hurricane alley FFS. That state is bad for weather most of the year and being underground does not negate the fact you need power FFS.

I don't know who thought Dallas was a hub for servers but I will never have anything there. Just does not make sense to me to put my stuff or my customers stuff at risk for something I can avoid.

Sorry @VirMach and @FrankZ I have kind of derailed this thread. I apologise and I know it says chit chat but I should have put this in the Cest Pit I suppose.

Thanked by (1)skorous

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@AuroraZero said: Sorry @VirMach and @FrankZ I have kind of derailed this thread. I apologise and I know it says chit chat but I should have put this in the Cest Pit I suppose.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• edited February 2023

@FrankZ said: By the way has anybody else noted that recently purchased VMs have port 25 blocked ?

It was my understanding/assumption that all the FLASH-SPECIAL ones would have it blocked, by default.
    As to whether that's the case, for all locations.. ;)

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited February 2023

@AlwaysSkint said:

@FrankZ said: By the way has anybody else noted that recently purchased VMs have port 25 blocked ?

It was my understanding/assumption that all the FLASH-SPECIAL ones would have it blocked, by default.
    As to whether that's the case, for all locations.. ;)

I did not notice that was the case until I started using one of the VMs from the flash sale as a test bed for a mail server setup script and started wondering why it was not working.
    What I see so far on the VMs I purchased in the recent flash sale is three with port 25 open, five with port 25 blocked, two unknown.
    By location:
    One Seattle blocked, one Seattle not blocked.
    Two Phoenix, both are blocked.
    Four Dallas, two blocked, two down so I don't know yet.
    One Los Angeles, not blocked.
    One Tokyo, not blocked

From the 17 older ones I have, only one in Seattle, and one in Denver have port 25 blocked as of now. So I am not sure if the plan is to block port 25 on old as well as new VMs eventually. I wonder if VirMach would chime in on this and let us know what the plan is for the future.

• edited February 2023

Blocking ports retrospectively wouldn't be/isn't "fair play", in my opinion. :|
    Any comment(s) @VirMach ?

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Blocking ports retrospectively wouldn't be/isn't "fair play", in my opinion. :|
    Any comment(s) @VirMach ?

I haven't kept up to date with the discussion thus far but we already spoke about this probably a long time ago. We've introduced the port unblock addon and advertised everything accordingly for the last however many months or years in preparation for a potential block should that day come.

We're also very slowly, and I mean very very very slowly, going to lean toward providing more support regarding auto port blocks, if any, should you trigger it via high volume based on whether or not you have the option.

The system still sucks though so it's possible it could be blocked day one depending on if there was previous abuse and the script not clearing it properly.

We still intend on grandfathering people in to some degree depending on when the service was acquired and how we advertised it. For example, more recent special offers and KVM Lite plans sold have some advertising on each page that state specifically there's no obligation for us to provide so of course we'll work with people to make sure they don't get screwed over but at this level is where we could be less accommodating to let's say previous abusers, multi-account, etc.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@VirMach will the port 80/443 block you have talked about in the past also happen on specials and KVM-lite VMs in the near future ?

• @AuroraZero said:

@tetech said:

@fluttershy said:

@AuroraZero said:
    I don't understand how Dallas became what it has to be honest. Texas gets hit with a cold and snow and the State damn near blows up. People panic like it has never happened before

That's a bit exaggerated. Some servers in my house (underground power) have uptime measured in years, and DCs are not losing power. A large part of the issue is with thick ice (not snow or cold) taking down trees.

I pray you never come to Michigan in the middle of January when the snow and cold explode trees in the forest around here. Shit I had one at my old place that when it blew up it sounded like a mortar round and damned near took out my shed. Shit is not funny.

Not the just the snow and cold though it is in the middle of Hurricane alley FFS. That state is bad for weather most of the year and being underground does not negate the fact you need power FFS.

I don't know who thought Dallas was a hub for servers but I will never have anything there. Just does not make sense to me to put my stuff or my customers stuff at risk for something I can avoid.

Sorry @VirMach and @FrankZ I have kind of derailed this thread. I apologise and I know it says chit chat but I should have put this in the Cest Pit I suppose.

In December I had 3 spruce trees with broken crowns. Another tree had broken a few lower branches, one of which landed on my car parked outside. Luckily it didn't make any damages to the car.

All caused by the abnormal amount of snow we had here.

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @terrorgen said:

@AuroraZero said:

@tetech said:

@fluttershy said:

@AuroraZero said:

In December I had 3 spruce trees with broken crowns. Another tree had broken a few lower branches, one of which landed on my car parked outside. Luckily it didn't make any damages to the car.

In Texas?

• @terrorgen said:

@AuroraZero said:

@tetech said:

@fluttershy said:

@AuroraZero said:

Was 50 degrees here yesterday and today we have freezing rain and snow.

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @FrankZ said: will the port 80/443 block you have talked about in the past also happen on specials and KVM-lite VMs in the near future ?

Blocking port 80/443 basically means I can't host anything on the vps.

• @DanSummer said:

@FrankZ said: will the port 80/443 block you have talked about in the past also happen on specials and KVM-lite VMs in the near future ?

Blocking port 80/443 basically means I can't host anything on the vps.

Error does not compute, yeah you can just have to be a little creative is all.

• @skorous said:

@terrorgen said:

@AuroraZero said:

@tetech said:

@fluttershy said:

@AuroraZero said:

In Texas?

No. Waay up north but south of Canada.

• @terrorgen said:

@skorous said:

@terrorgen said:

@AuroraZero said:

@tetech said:

@fluttershy said:

@AuroraZero said:

In Texas?

Sounds like a Dakotian

• edited February 2023

@AuroraZero said:

@terrorgen said:

@skorous said:

@terrorgen said:

@AuroraZero said:

@tetech said:

@fluttershy said:

@AuroraZero said:

In Texas?

Sounds like a Dakotian

Close enough. No prizes when you get it right anyways.

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero skorous

• @terrorgen said:

@AuroraZero said:

@terrorgen said:

@skorous said:

@terrorgen said:

@AuroraZero said:

@tetech said:

@fluttershy said:

@AuroraZero said:

In Texas?

Sounds like a Dakotian

Close enough. No prizes when you get it right anyways.

It is alright I am a Michigander so I feel you.

Thanked by (1)skorous

• @AuroraZero said:

The end is nigh.
    We are coming to an apocalypse.

• @Fritz said:

@AuroraZero said:

The end is nigh.
    We are coming to an apocalypse.

Welcome to Michigan! If you don't like the weather turn around it'll change.

• @AuroraZero said:

@tetech said:

@fluttershy said:

@AuroraZero said:

That's not what was said at all. The two "accusations" were that (a) "Texas gets hit with a cold and snow and the State damn near blows up" and (b) "This happens basically every year, their grid is terrible".

Regarding (a), the point is that it is ice (more than cold or snow) which cause issues in Texas (I don't remember anything being stopped due to cold), this is mostly because of roads which are built with bridges & high flyovers which ice up at the first hint of moisture. Regarding (b), there is generation capacity but it is poles & wires in specific areas that go down, not the grid - and not relevant to DCs.

Everyone can do their own risk assessment, but of course people want to be close to customers, geographic location is good for some people (east-west and proximity to Latin America), electricity is cheap and reliable (again, a subset of consumers may have issues but DCs do not randomly lose power), real estate relatively cheap, good IX, no earthquakes, forest fires. Hurricanes are "spent" before they reach Dallas (main risk is some localized flooding), tornadoes affect very small areas and DCs withstand them.

No problem if people want to put stuff in a California earthquake zone to get close to Asia, but that's not what suits everyone, so do what works.

• It looks like my VPS on TYOC035 has finally given up :'( , the node was locked for probably a month now and the VPS was running just fine.

• https://billing.virmach.com/networkissuesrss.php had a change.

(changed) * See below.

(into ) * ATLZ010 - Overloading.

Any victims here!? :D

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• @Jab said: Any victims here!?

Yup! :'(

Noticed at: 2023-02-10 10:10:42 (UTC+00:00)

• URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• @AlwaysSkint said: Noticed at: 2023-02-10 10:10:42 (UTC+00:00)

Could've been worse..

Downtime: 13 hr 49 min
    Noticed at: 2023-02-10 23:59:00 (UTC+00:00)

• @taizi said:
    received my renew invoice,but should i pay it.according virmach's reply,should i don't pay it so that virmach can terminated exist one and create new one in receiver account easier?

so virmach still no response,seems i have to pay the invoice first...

• @tototo said:

@dreampower said:
    It's ridiculous, I didn't abuse vps or resell vps, why is my technical support banned

Some people say "I didn't do anything" when they buy a VPS and account from a scalper, how about you?

I have the ability to grab a cheap vps, why should I buy it from scalpers? My account is registered by myself. I have been using vir for many years and have never changed my email address!
    Merchants have the courage to admit their mistakes and correct them if they do something wrong! Instead of taping the user's mouth shut!

• All I know is @VirMach's owner is the dumbest human alive. I got one of those black friday specials and it got suspended because of high email traffic. I sent no emails outside of my own domain name first of all, and those were from things like wordpress. Asked him to show me how he got to the conclusion and he showed me a cpanel network traffic graph =) =) =) The fucker thinks that graph means email traffic. I had a couple more VPSes idling and he suspended everything. After bitching he refunded 1 of them.

Bottom line? Dealing with VirMach is like going to North Korea and demanding human rights. =) =) =)

You just read my signature.

• Good riddance

• @skorous said:
    Good riddance

What did I do now?