Hetzner Online news bytes

Comments

• @Hetzner_OL said:

IT’S GIVEAWAY TIME! 🎉We’re so excited to announce that we turned 25! And we want to celebrate with YOU by saying thank you in 25 ways! 😍
    Order a dedicated root server in June and get the chance to win one of 25 prizes!
    Go to https://win.hetzner.com/ to learn more about the giveaway and to see the official terms of participation! The winners will be contacted on 15 July 2022 via mail 📩
    Don’t miss it! Enter now or by Thursday, 30 June 2022 by 11:59pm (CEST)!

We wish y’all good luck! 🍀 --Katie

Congratulations :)

Send free Hetzner (laptop) stickers to the next 25 people who congratulate you.
    The people who look at my laptop have money to buy dedis (not me).
    Danke.

• Hey @Hetzner_OL , I noticed a subtile change in this months invoice: you started accounting for IP and VM independently.
    Does that mean we finally will get a chance for "local network only" VMs and maybe something like a CX5 with it? :P

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

@Bochi said:
    Hey @Hetzner_OL , I noticed a subtile change in this months invoice: you started accounting for IP and VM independently.
    Does that mean we finally will get a chance for "local network only" VMs and maybe something like a CX5 with it? :P

Probably will be IPv6 only instances for Hetzner Cloud

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• edited June 2022

@Bochi said:
    Hey @Hetzner_OL , I noticed a subtile change in this months invoice: you started accounting for IP and VM independently.

This is mentioned on the usage page:

Cloud servers and public IPv4 addresses will soon be billed separately. The total price for cloud servers together with their public IPv4 is the same as before. At the moment, not all servers are affected yet. This will change over the coming few weeks.

I also did some snooping with the API and discovered that "Primary IPs" are now considered separate resources and there are (Inaccessible) API endpoints to potentially interact with them, including removing them from servers, in future.

So yes, IPv6-only cloud instances are coming. You may even be able to do local network only since the IPv6 is also counted as a Primary IP resource, but that remains to be seen.

Thanked by (2)Bochi Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

@Bochi, Yes, more IP options for Hetzner Cloud are coming. As soon as those go live, we'll post information on our social media channels and on Cloud Console itself. But I can't give you a specific date when that will happen.

**Good news about the sweepstakes! ** It is now possible to participate without having to buy a dedicated root server. So people who are already customers can also take part! Check it out.

MS - Thanks for your suggestion about the stickers. I don't think we in the marketing team will have the man-power to do that this time, unfortunately. (Some people are out sick.) But we will keep it in mind for the future, though! It's nice to know that you still love getting stickers. --Katie

Thanked by (2)_MS_ Decicus

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

One, two, three - which option will it be? 🧐

With our newest cloud feature Primary IPs, you can now choose from three networking options for your server. Simply add, remove or replace a server's IPv4/IPv6 to enable or disable the public network.
    Try it out now console.hetzner.cloud 🚀

Thanked by (4)Erisa willie dosai Wolveix

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

• edited June 2022

is that Katie in the middle?

• Dropping the ipv4 from a cloud vm saves only 0.6 euro/month? Meh, I guess v4 addresses aren't that scarce after all, or else Hetzner doesn't want people to release too many. I notice the main /cloud page says "INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE STARTING AT € 4.15" but it could be changed to 3.56 reflecting the new v6 option. I think 3.56 is higher than the v4 version was before the increase, but I guess the power bills in DE must be crazy now.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@willie said: it could be changed to 3.56 reflecting the new v6 option.

I suspect that would trigger a backlash. Huge chunks of people don't have ipv6 yet and would complain about it being a broken product. So better to advertise at higher price and let sophisticated users "save" from there

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Hetzner_OL - I suppose it's worth to ask:

Do you plan on ever enabling account funds pre-paying using a card (visa/mastercard)?
    Right now, it's only possible via a wire transfer, which costs an arm and a leg (at least a $30 commission by banks).

I'd like to be able to pay for at least a few months in advance, so I don't have to worry about any card/bank problems in case I'm not near a computer when they happen.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• dfroedfroe Services Provider
    edited August 2022

@bikegremlin said:
    Right now, it's only possible via a wire transfer, which costs an arm and a leg (at least a $30 commission by banks).

SEPA payments are free If you have an EU bank account.
    Otherwise you may use Wise for international SEPA payments which only costs ~1% fees ($100 to €) and is probably cheaper than any credit card processing.

Thanked by (2)adly Hetzner_OL

it-df.net: IT-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | AS39083 | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• @bikegremlin said: Do you plan on ever enabling account funds pre-paying using a card (visa/mastercard)?

I have done that. I just opened a billing ticket and asked them to charge $xxx to my card. I believe you can choose quarterly, semi-annual, or annual billing through the client area as well.

What none of these let you do is let you leave an amount on deposit in case something goes wrong, but otherwise bill your card normally. If you do an advance payment, you get a credit balance that your servers are charged against until the balance reaches 0, and then they start billing your card again. I agree that it would be nice to be able to keep the regular automatic card billing running even when there is a credit balance. Payment systems suck and stuff goes wrong with them all the time.

edited August 2022

@willie said:

@bikegremlin said: Do you plan on ever enabling account funds pre-paying using a card (visa/mastercard)?

I have done that. I just opened a billing ticket and asked them to charge $xxx to my card. I believe you can choose quarterly, semi-annual, or annual billing through the client area as well.

What none of these let you do is let you leave an amount on deposit in case something goes wrong, but otherwise bill your card normally. If you do an advance payment, you get a credit balance that your servers are charged against until the balance reaches 0, and then they start billing your card again. I agree that it would be nice to be able to keep the regular automatic card billing running even when there is a credit balance. Payment systems suck and stuff goes wrong with them all the time.

That is exactly the problem - I want to pre pay funds in advance.

I can do that by posting a ticket?

@dfroe
    SEPA doesn't work for us living in the "wrong" countries (like Serbia).

Wise - would have to look into it. I believe they too (like Payoneer) will still end up with at least $30 commissions for wire transfers.

And it sucks having to jump through the hoops to give a company your money.

I know this may sound silly, but I've got enough experience to say that problems happen when you are on a vacation, away from any "civilization" - not when you are near a computer/phone to sort it out.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• dfroedfroe Services Provider

@bikegremlin said:

I forgot about that indeed there are still countries on the European continent excluded from SEPA.

With Wise you can also send EUR to EUR by paying with debit or credit card at a reasonable fee (~1%).
    According to their website it's also available in Serbia, so you may give it a try.

it-df.net: IT-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | AS39083 | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• @bikegremlin said: That is exactly the problem - I want to pre pay funds in advance. I can do that by posting a ticket?

That worked for me a couple of years ago. I can't promise that it will still work.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @ehab said:

No, here she is.

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • @dfroe said:

@bikegremlin said:

I forgot about that indeed there are still countries on the European continent excluded from SEPA.

With Wise you can also send EUR to EUR by paying with debit or credit card at a reasonable fee (~1%).
    According to their website it's also available in Serbia, so you may give it a try.

@Aleksa_Djordjic you may be interested in this :)

• @willie said: I have done that. I just opened a billing ticket and asked them to charge $xxx to my card. I believe you can choose quarterly, semi-annual, or annual billing through the client area as well.

When I ask them about "charge me $XXX" in January this year they said that "sorry, we can't do this, you should pay only sum that in your Invoice". And If I wish to prepay in advance - "just send more money via swift".

edited August 2022

@dfroe said:

@bikegremlin said:

Thanks.
    I googled Payoneer fees, and checked their (re-vamped) user interface.
    It shows clearly (if it's correct) how much I pay, and how much the receipient's bank gets.
    Looks acceptable ($1.5 taken for $33 paid).
    Gave it a try, will know in a couple of days if it worked.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

Payoneer wire-transfers work.
    And with a fairly fair policy.

I paid $33, and the Hetzner account got €31.74.
    That's about 50 cents commission, i.e. about 1.5 percent.

With more than fair storage box prices (under $3 per month for 1TB), it's a great deal, and I'm happy for being to prevent any payment problems from causing hick-ups (pay for a year in advance, and top it up as needed).

Thanked by (3)Falzo willie Hetzner_OL

• price increase at Hetzner ahead: https://docs.hetzner.com/general/others/price-adjustment/

so far I did not receive any mail regarding this, but I guess those will follow very shortly.

if they do a general increase across all products at the same level, I suppose this is much more fair then the stunt they pulled with the auction servers early this year.

any comments already on how this will affect non-regular products like the auction boxes @Hetzner_OL ?

Thanked by (2)willie beagle

@Falzo said:
    price increase at Hetzner ahead: https://docs.hetzner.com/general/others/price-adjustment/

so far I did not receive any mail regarding this, but I guess those will follow very shortly.

if they do a general increase across all products at the same level, I suppose this is much more fair then the stunt they pulled with the auction servers early this year.

any comments already on how this will affect non-regular products like the auction boxes @Hetzner_OL ?

Expect and calculate for double, then be pleasantly surprised (hopefully). :)

It's how things go nowadays, worldwide, across most industries.
    Inflation. :(

• I've been doing my long running computations on my BHS (Canada) server instead of Hetzner (DE), just to give the DE side a break with the ridiculous energy costs (gas shortage etc). BHS is wisely right next to Quebec Hydro as I understand it.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin vimalware
  • @bikegremlin said:

@Falzo said:
    price increase at Hetzner ahead: https://docs.hetzner.com/general/others/price-adjustment/

You'd hope that HEL prices might go up slightly less, based on that, but it would be nice to know. My fingers have been hovering on an auction box but without more info I guess I need to hold fire for a few weeks.

edited August 2022

@ahnlak said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Falzo said:

You'd hope that HEL prices might go up slightly less, based on that, but it would be nice to know. My fingers have been hovering on an auction box but without more info I guess I need to hold fire for a few weeks.

If you need it - buy it.
    Other prices will go up as well.
    Don't think it will make much difference in the long run.
    (of course I get a 10% of every sold Hetnzer service, why do you ask? ) :)

Actually, I do have an affiliate link lol :)
    https://hetzner.cloud/?ref=5BqvdZup7pCp

Buy now. Buy today!
    Prices will stay the same for you 'till the 31st of December if you buy now before September! :)

Edit:
    If the email I saw (screenshot) is correct (I trust it is):
    "Approximately 10% increase"

• It's a fair point; even +10% their prices are pretty unbeatable.

@willie said:

@bikegremlin said: Do you plan on ever enabling account funds pre-paying using a card (visa/mastercard)?

>

What none of these let you do is let you leave an amount on deposit in case something goes wrong, but otherwise bill your card normally. If you do an advance payment, you get a credit balance that your servers are charged against until the balance reaches 0, and then they start billing your card again.

As far as I understand it, this is correct.
    So.. to summarize:
    You can pay in advance using a bank/wire transfer. You just need to remember to enter your customer number as the "reason" for the payment.
    You can also write a support request using Robot/Cloud Console and ask if it is possible to make an advance payment using a credit card. You can enter the credit card information on your account, so that our team can check on that for you. It is possible to use this option for many customers, but not for everyone. That's why we ask you to write a support request about it. And yes, as far as I know, once you use up all of the pre-paid money on your account, our team does not automatically charge your credit card again. You need to manually re-do an advanced credit card payment = write to the team again and ask them to charge your card.

I'll pass on the feedback and critiques about our payment options to the team. --Katie

@ehab said:

Y'all are silly sometimes with what peaks your interest. If you look hard enough, you'll find me on our YouTube channel. --Katie

Thanked by (2)ehab Wolveix

@Falso said:

We want to be very transparent about this because we understand how much it affects our customers. That's why we also posted it in our forum. The emails started being sent out earlier today and will continue in stages for the next few days.

@Falzo said:

Any newly-ordered products that directly use electricity, like the Auction servers and other dedicated root servers, will be affected by the 10% change starting 1 September 2022. Existing products (ones ordered and deployed before 1 September 2022) won't see the price change until 1 January 2023. The colocation price changes are listed separately. --Katie