Warning: NexusBytes Deadpool Imminent, MOVE YOUR DATA

Comments

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

I guess what I really wanted to end that with was that regardless of any feelings or thoughts about this situation, I wouldn’t use it to project my next decision on something else. My next decision on something that seems similar, externally, could very well be or appear to be inconsistent with my reaction here. Moving forward I want to outline a policy that can try to give a clear outline of expectations. But in trying to outline that in a way that best fits all possible situations of the type, that may not take into account variables like:

• I know this guy
    • I know his customers know me
    • I know who he marketed to

All thoughts and feelings that I’ve heard here are valid, I just want to be clear that precedent is not going to be defined by this situation. Though it certainly will help to inform what will become precedent.

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• All this precedent, expectations, who knows who and what, thoughts, outlines and projections.... @jarland what did you take? I want some of that too.

How are you... online?

• edited January 2023

Moved one of my clients from my own SmallWeb (NB) account, to their own onepoundemail - a customer gain for @MichaelCee.
    [Before someone says/asks: it was a favour to my client who has even less funds than me! It is also very low email throughput.]
    Used the inbuilt IMAPsync and that was a painless exercise. Great! :) :+1:
    (Wish I'd sussed that before the missus cancelled her account. :'( )

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• I understand the good gesture/ intentions of helping those affected as a motivator for considering what @jarland proposed.

But technically, every customer who signed up with a reseller had an option of signing up directly with Mxroute. It was the customer's decision to opt for reseller X (in this case, NB) instead. Why should the Mxroute be concerned whether NB customers have been left in the lurch or not? It

Legally nothing ties the two together, it was the customer's responsibility to make backups in any case. Customer always have an option of signing up with Mxroute.

In that context,
    What triggered all the discussions and positions over the past few pages? What did I miss ?

Squats are the new Push-ups

@vyas said:
    Why should the Mxroute be concerned whether NB customers have been left in the lurch or not? It

People routinely ask if my resellers are safe to do business with. This event will cause a reduction in overall trust of MXroute resellers, possibly leading to reduced growth for my most profitable service. It doesn’t hurt that being the good guy and propping up the first major failure of a reseller for my own benefit (not for the profit from these users, but for the potential profits for all resellers as a whole) happen to line up.

Thanked by (1)vyas

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited January 2023

@jarland said:

@vyas said:
    Why should the Mxroute be concerned whether NB customers have been left in the lurch or not? It

People routinely ask if my resellers are safe to do business with. This event will cause a reduction in overall trust of MXroute resellers, possibly leading to reduced growth for my most profitable service. It doesn’t hurt that being the good guy and propping up the first major failure of a reseller for my own benefit (not for the profit from these users, but for the potential profits for all resellers as a whole) happen to line up.

i would think in an ideal situation, the (more reputable) reseller(s) make the refugee offers while supported by mxroute. this further adds value to the business model.

that being said mxroute is probably the most mature provider in this case.

never needed to login to mxroute since emails always work.

Thanked by (1)jarland

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2023

@jarland said:

@vyas said:

Thanks - this is much more understandable now.

One option - an extension of what @Cybertech mentioned- could be to set up a “path to migration “ page for affected folks:

i.e customers in good standing can choose from a set of resellers
    where account migration can be facilitated/possible. That way customers reach out first, the migration happens with their consent, issue of poaching should not arise. Wrt pool of resellers, I am thinking something like Bandwidth alliance that Cloudflare has. But specific to email.

Added later:
    A better example could be what the original Centos developers did after Redhat dropped the ball on Centos. Community was reassured of continuity, third party vendors joined in, path to migration was quickly drawn up…. Relatively speaking

On second thoughts,
    Maybe I jumped into the discussion too late to add any value. So I will stop here.

Thanked by (1)jarland

Squats are the new Push-ups

• Wow this seems fun, this makes me want to order VPS from nexusbytes

Thanked by (1)rogertheshrubb3r
  • @selalumenang said: this makes me want to order VPS from nexusbytes

You know you want to.

• Somewhere along the line this seems to have changed from "retrieve your NB data" to "business advice for Jarland".

• skorupionskorupion Services Provider

@jarland said:
    I guess what I really wanted to end that with was that regardless of any feelings or thoughts about this situation, I wouldn’t use it to project my next decision on something else. My next decision on something that seems similar, externally, could very well be or appear to be inconsistent with my reaction here. Moving forward I want to outline a policy that can try to give a clear outline of expectations. But in trying to outline that in a way that best fits all possible situations of the type, that may not take into account variables like:

• I know this guy
    • I know his customers know me
    • I know who he marketed to

All thoughts and feelings that I’ve heard here are valid, I just want to be clear that precedent is not going to be defined by this situation. Though it certainly will help to inform what will become precedent.

Well, RIP their website. I think it's time for mass migration. So @jarland can we get our accounts migrated directly to MXroute?

Thanked by (1)jarland

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

• Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• @Jab said:

LOL. The only question is which (non-NB) machines are referred to by those notices!

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

I don't even think that status page is automated or connected to any checks.

Thanked by (2)angstrom Ympker

• @angstrom said:

@Jab said:

LOL. The only question is which (non-NB) machines are referred to by those notices!

The website itself maybe?

• @ascicode said:

@angstrom said:

@Jab said:

I mean, it's simply wrong/dishonest to have such a fake/misleading status page, and I wonder since when that page has been like this

Thanked by (1)Marx

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @angstrom said:

@ascicode said:

@angstrom said:

@Jab said:

I mean, it's simply wrong/dishonest to have such a fake/misleading status page, and I wonder since when that page has been like this

Well, its down, so, done for now.

Thanked by (2)angstrom tarasis

@angstrom said:

@ascicode said:

@angstrom said:

@Jab said:

I rarely recommend having a status page that actually monitors and reports outages. Then you have to make sure you cover all of the bases to make sure it doesn’t report false positives, which can be more tricky under some scenarios than others (rate limits, third party reverse proxies, etc). I think it’s just that it’s manual update and abandoned like everything else.

Thanked by (2)angstrom Ympker

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@jarland said:
    I don't even think that status page is automated or connected to any checks.

Plottwist: it pings google.com :tongue:

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • JabJab
    edited January 2023

@Ympker said: Plottwist: it pings google.com

I would rather guess localhost :-)

EDIT: Yeah, it does not need to ping anything.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• Plottwist: it pings lowendspirit.com :relieved:

Thanked by (2)Ympker imok
  • edited January 2023

I'm confused: just received an email today entitled..

Your new SmallWeb service

With all the existing login details.
    :skull:
    [Edit] Client Area of NB is still operational.

• The German backup server is down around 7hrs ago

Gone is an era.

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• edited January 2023

smallweb is still up.

• My German Free Hosting is down.
    Singapore Shared Hosting is also down.

It was good till the last bite.

• edited February 2023

@MichaelCee I have a specific issue with your ToS:

.. the following are forbidden from our services:
    Server notification emails to @gmail.com email addresses (Such as CSF/LFD).

My primary purposes for using mxroute are to receive emails from my few clients AND to get system notifications from my servers. I average about 30 emails/day from my servers.
    This is holding me back from your generous refugee offer. :-/

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited February 2023

@AlwaysSkint said:

My primary purposes for using mxroute are to receive emails from my few clients AND to get system notifications from my servers. I average about 30 emails/day from my servers.

IIRC correctly this may be taken from MXroute policy:

Sending an excess of junk emails that were not even intended for human consumption, to third party email services. Example: You don't need an email in your Gmail inbox every time someone fails SSH login on your server, you can just find a list of Chinanet IPs here to do the same job all at once.

I don't know why I've written it so literally

EDIT: I've pushed an update incorporating the original wording more.

Thanked by (3)AlwaysSkint ialexpw adly
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited February 2023

@ascicode said: smallweb is still up.

Unfortunately looks like a case of best til last.

EDIT: If you have a domain at SmallWeb you need to take action ASAP. Now that the NexusBytes WHMCS is inaccessible, you can't download invoices and proof which is required for NameSilo to take action (unless you've already got this data).

Do the same with SmallWeb, download your domain invoices and contact NameSilo.

Thanked by (1)ialexpw

@AlwaysSkint said:

You’re the rarity. Most people just have CSF/LFD tuned to default so it sends 1000 root login failures a day to Gmail from root@localhost. Obviously with no intent to read them, just a bunch of default configs treating the SMTP queue as a trash can.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

• edited February 2023

^ I'm sad; I check each email for a successful backup/system update and of course, any notification of a console login. ;)
    I have

csf --profile apply protection_high

followed by

csf --profile apply disable_alerts (with manual exceptions)

Thanked by (1)jarland